*Emergency* My Hen Has A Prolapsed Vent!!

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
My hen has a prolapsed vent (I think). She is trying to get something out. At first I thought there could be an egg in there. It feels like something round, but like there is a membrane. I can provide pictures of needed. I have her in the house. I can take her to the vet tomorrow, but they are closed today because it is Sunday.
Thanks so so much!
~ roostersandhens

UPDATE: She sadly had to be put to sleep because the organ was torn and damaged. I will never forget her, she was the best hen I ever had. Her name was Herki. This is her when she was alive, and healthy:

Last edited:
It should be fairly clear if she has a prolapsed vent. There will be a bulge of tissue coming out of her vent. It could be caused by something being stuck, or something that was difficult to get out, but that did make it out. Since you can't see the vet until tomorrow, you should do something to bring down the swelling. Preparation H is good for that, and you will find plenty of other options if you search here on BYC.

I would soak her in warm water with some epsom salts (or without). Go to the drug store and buy some mineral oil or vaseline and some latex gloves; if there's a no-shell or broken egg trying to come down her oviduct often you can pull out the white egg membrane and then massage the rest out. Even if you get it out, you should get her on antibiotics, as broken egg material inside their abdomens are a magnet for bacteria and she could easily get EYP and later die.

You can also put her on a towel on a heating pad on low overnight in hopes that relaxes her muscles enough to push the stuff out.

(I had a hen with a prolapsed vent, and once she got the no-shell egg out, I just pushed the prolapse back into place with mineral oil and a glove, and she went back to normal.)

These might help you to check for an egg or masses.
LL

fig025.jpg

-Kathy

Have you checked *inside* her vent for an egg?
The only thing I did (with gloves and vaseline) was feel the hanging out tissue. I felt a round egg shaped thing, but it feels like a membrane. Could it be a no-shell egg that is stuck? It is my understanding that most prolapses are caused by a no-shell egg?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom