EMERGENCY!!! My silkie is gone! Please HELP!!!!

Don't give up hope just yet. We had a young d'uccle pullet last January that went missing- only found a pile of feathers after dark when we were putting everyone up. My father and I stayed out for an hour in 20 degree weather searching but didn't find anything. Late the next morning (nearly 11), my dog went out and started digging at the woodpile beside the coop. Wouldn't you know it? Our silly pullet had escaped the predator, survived the night and cold, and was still alive! Today, she rides around on my shoulder whenever I'm outside.

I know how you feel. A number of years ago, (15?) we went on vacation, leaving my father in law in charge of the flock. Over 2 days time, our entire flock of 10 went missing. They were even corraled in fencing/chicken wire with a nice little run outside of the coop. Had a safe ( or so we thought) place for them at night. Barely a feather to be seen and certainly no other signs. We were so discouraged we are only now getting ready to try this again. We just really miss not having our own fresh eggs that are not full of antibiotics and hormones. I hope our next batch of gals fares much better.
barnie.gif

Good luck I hope you find her, just like someone above posted sometimes they can find great hiding places. We had a dog attack and it killed 3 that we found and we were still missing one. As my husband was searching the yard knowing the dog didn't eat it and there was no body to be found he finally found her wedged between the fence and a compost bin. She was a large girl and we still can't figure out how she squeezed herself in there but she did! I hope you find her safe and sound!

I hate to say it but it sounds like a possum or even a raccoon. I've caught possum in the coop just recently. I set the live trap and took care of it.

Probably, it's that season, when they come out at the peak of the afternoon, I saw a skunk do that. It was really looking for food, had it's head to the ground, digging.

For now she's MIA. We looked everywhere. Our dog was even with us sniffing around and playing. We left the gate open in our backyard just in case she came back and put another latch on the door to the nestbox. Hopefully she turns up but we looked for several hours. Hiked through the woods and people's backyards and under porches but came up with nothing but ticks and mosquito bites.

For now she's MIA. We looked everywhere. Our dog was even with us sniffing around and playing. We left the gate open in our backyard just in case she came back and put another latch on the door to the nestbox. Hopefully she turns up but we looked for several hours. Hiked through the woods and people's backyards and under porches but came up with nothing but ticks and mosquito bites.

I'm so sorry
sad.png

she might be alive. I just remembered I have a chicken that was gone for six months and she came back. And I did find a pile of feathers, a big pile to.
6 months??? She was not a free range chicken so she wouldn't know how to survive would she? We also have barn owls, great horned owls, red-tailed hawks, cooper's hawks, raccoons, opossums, snakes, coyotes, you name it! I want to think she's alive but it's just so hard to believe.

Back
Top Bottom