EMERGENCY- PLEASE HELP!!!!! I forgot to stop turning my chicken eggs at day 18! Just stopped turning

Aquabubblez13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
It is day 21 and I forgot to stop turning the eggs in the incubator! I was supposed to stop turning them at day 18 but just did it now at day 19.5!
I put the eggs in the incubator on July 13, and they should hatch tonight or tomorrow! They are rare Ayam Cemani chicken eggs and we paid $160 for 6 eggs that were rather old and had a small chance of hatching. If we were to buy newer ones they would be $610. WAY over our budget. I have tried candling the eggs at day 5, 7 and 11, but none didn't even show veins. Some looked darker than others but I'm not sure... I just candled them all now and only about 2 or 3 looked clear, and the other ones looked SOMEWHAT darker... Not completely black, but just dark... And one of them i candled I thought I saw movement a few times, but it could of been me. It was small movement, like the embryo (if it was one) was small... I really hope they will hatch though!
Will any hatch if the turner was still turning for this time? Does it sound like any will hatch?
ANY RESPONSES WILL BE HELPFUL AND NEEDED! THE MORE RESPONSES THE BETTER! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

****I removed the egg turner and set the eggs on their sides. Or should I put the turner back in since the chicks have got in their position to hatch when they were in it?***

idunno.gif
hide.gif
hu.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hello,
What color are the eggs? Was the room always pitch black when you candles them? Did you cup your hands so that the light only showed on the eggs and not around them? Even if the eggs are dark brown, it seems to me you really should have been able to see things much more distinctly than what you're describing. If you're seeing a shadow and no veins/air pocket/discernable shape then you're just looking at an unfertilized yolk.

If I were you I'd wait til past the due date and then crack them and see if they were fertile. If they aren't, definitely demand your money back!!

I should get in the business of selling eggs for $30 each. :D

Also, in my experience, an infertile yolk will move as you move, whereas a chick will periodically make distinct, sharp, big movements.

The egg shell color is a cream color, but I also think the shell is thicker. The room was black and I cupped my hands so all the light went through the eggs. And when I saw the movement I was holding still and saw a small jerky movement. The person I bought them from said they don't do refunds but I'm sure if none hatch we will work something out to get new ones... Hopefully. But I really need these to hatch, or AT LEAST ONE! Because these eggs are the rarest chicken breed in the world and are pitch black. When the birds are almost fully grown or "juvenile", they can sell from $2,000 to $5,000!
fl.gif

Last edited:
barnie.gif
The most important question is- Should I remove the egg turner and set the eggs on their sides, or should I put the turner back in since the chicks have got in their position to hatch when they were in it?***

Earlier today (Day 21) I removed the egg turner and set the eggs on their sides, but after about an hour, I thought I should put it back in since 3 days ago the chicks should have gotten into their hatching positions while in the egg turner. So I put them back into the turner, and of course, the turner is off. Should I keep the turner in, or remove it again and set the eggs on their sides??????????
barnie.gif

THIS NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED!!! It is day 21!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
So, while you were candling your eggs, did you notice veins at any point during incubation? When I candle, even very early on, they are the first thing I look for since they are the easiest thing (for me) to see. If you never saw them, that's bad news.
And, if you're at hatch time, the eggs should be full. They will be completely black, not just sort of dark. At this point, the only things you should be seeing are black and the air cell with some veins just under it.

I hope they do something for you, good luck!

barnie.gif
The most important question is- Should I remove the egg turner and set the eggs on their sides, or should I put the turner back in since the chicks have got in their position to hatch when they were in it?***

Earlier today (Day 21) I removed the egg turner and set the eggs on their sides, but after about an hour, I thought I should put it back in since 3 days ago the chicks should have gotten into their hatching positions while in the egg turner. So I put them back into the turner, and of course, the turner is off. Should I keep the turner in, or remove it again and set the eggs on their sides??????????
barnie.gif

THIS NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED!!! It is day 21!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of people hatch their eggs upright so it is fine to do it that way. Sometimes broody hens are still moving eggs up until hatch so I would not worry so much about it. Hope they all hatch for you!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MY QUESTION IS ANSWERED!!! Good, what a relief! I was worried about the positioning but I'm glad it's ok!
wee.gif

Crossing my fingers they hatch!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom