Emergency Please Help me!!!!!! Maggots possibly in my bunny!!!!

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
I don't see them but I think my bunny has become ifested with maggots, I don't see them but plerase is there anything I could squirt inside her little behind to get them to come out? PLEASE help!!!!!!!!!!!!

More info?? How old is the bunny, why do you think shes got maggots, does she seem healthy otherwise, weight? probably worth mentioning the poop too, does it look normal?

Are you sure they are not some other type of worm parasite? ...like round worms...or tape worms?

Last edited:
I use a tube of ivermectin paste for horses. I just put a dab (pea size) on my finger and they lick it off, simple as that. The tube (syringe like) usually costs about $5-$6. You could use sevin dust on the area if you can still see them on there.

I would assume there is an injury? Flush it thoroughly with hydrogen peroixide--do not dilute it--this is a one time treatment to get rid of any maggots and germs. Continue to flush and pick out every maggot you find. Cover the wound with FLYS OFF or SWAT, which are wound pointments that contain a pesticide/repellent. If bunnies can be treated with ivermectin, do so. Look up fly strike for more information.

Thankyou so much for your help everyone, I do not see any of those horrible things but around her little butt area it was kinda wet that is why I thought of the m things and there were a couple small sore spots but nothing real severe. she doesn't seem interested in anything much, i saw her take a pellet an chew it. I also saw her sit up and lick her front paws. I looked close at the areas where it was sore very closely and didn't see any movement under her skin, that is just about the most horrible thing i can think of. The other night I gave her some leaf lettuce which she isn't that used to, maybe that could have caused something upsetting her digestive / my poor bunny has been treated for everything i think! Well she's actually a rabbit of 4 or 5 years. I put Neosporin on the sore area and on her little parts also gave her some hairball treatment and a small spot of my horse wormer called Eqvalan hope this is ok. She seemed alright night before last, last night is when I really was very concerned. I have her in my spare bedroom so that I can keep a very close eye on her and check on her every 2 -3 hours. If those horribe m things were causing the problem I would think I would have seen a sign of them, what do you think?

Thankyou for any more thoughts or advise you can give me to help my Bunny!!

Horse wormer can be harmful to dogs and cats...so I would be very careful giving it to a bunny.
What makes you think she has maggots? Do think you could get a picture of the sore spots you mentioned.

Just found this online:
Question
I'm only 12 but i sometimes get worried about my rabbit, she is a dwarf, not 1 yet and her name is Truffle. We recently made her an outside run and she loves it, its attached to her hutch so that she can be inside or out and get fresh air, the run is on pavement and sometimes i see some little ' worm looking ' things around where her poop is, I'm not an expert on this, but i sometimes wonder if this is a serious problem, i don't know if it is proper worms but i don't particularly know what worms for rabbits look like. Do you think you could help me out on what this actually is? Becky.

Answer
Hello, Becky

It seems most likely your rabbit has worms, many rabbits do have worms and it is not life-threatening unless there are many of them. The most common kind of worm found in rabbits are pinworms. Pinworms are small and white worms, about half the size of a grain of rice. Most likely this is what your rabbit has, since these worms can sometimes be seen if you check your rabbit's vent area or his poo. Take your rabbit to the vet and also take some of his poo for examination to make sure. This type of worm cannot be spread to humans. There is debate about the cause of pinworms. Many vets assume that rabbits get pinworms from contaminated water.if you do not give trhem clean warter daily. However, even rabbits that get clean water and fresh food all the time can sometimes get pinworms for no obvious reason.
Signs & Symptoms of Worms & Parasites in Pet Rabbits:
Signs of worms in pet rabbits include unthriftiness, dull fur,
diarrhea, cysts, and mucous or blood in the droppings. If you
suspect worms in a pet rabbit, take the rabbit and a small
sample of it's droppings to the veterinarian.
Treatment for Worms & Parasites in Pet Rabbits
Only a veterinarian can determine what type of worm the
rabbit has and the treatment for it.

(edited to add quote from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2008/8/Rabbits-worms-1.htm)​

Last edited:
I think my bunny has built up gas in her tummy, what do you all use for treatment. they say baby Mylicon drops or Simethicone. Do you have a remedy other than these that I could try. It seems as if she has the symptoms that I read. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom