Emergency please help!!!

5 days ago I saw her lying in a bush. I came back out to bag her thinking she was dead and then she opened her eyes so I brought her in and started her on probiotics. For three days she wouldn’t move or eat. I couldn’t find any wrong with her externally. The fourth day I walked in and she was holding up her head trying to eat her food. I had to crush it because she couldn’t eat the mini pellets. Day 5 today she was strong enough to eat her food drink some water and hold up her head so I decided to check out her legs. I can pull them out and she’ll kick but she refuses to stand. The only thing I could link this to was mites on her legs. I did not vacate her for Marke’s, but I heard that tractor supplies chicks are vaccinated and that’s where I got her. The info I am trying to find is how to get her standing again. I’ll try to get some pics of her legs though.

Is she eating and drinking like normal now? What does her poop look like?

I also would get her up into a sling.

Is she eating and drinking like normal now? What does her poop look like?

I also would get her up into a sling.

she’s eating and drinking a bit fast from not having anything the past few days, but other than the speed she’s fine. Her poo is brownish green soft and semi runny
A5E663D3-C0B0-4EF8-B23A-A6CE954ADDDA.jpeg

Here’s a closer pic of her legs. I’m working on building that chicken sling, was that cat litter in the bottom of the box?

Last edited:
she’s eating and drinking a bit fast from not having anything the past few days, but other than the speed she’s fine. Her poo is brownish green soft and semi runny
View attachment 2429229
Here’s a closer pic of her legs. I’m working on building that chicken sling, was that cat litter in the bottom of the box?
Yes, I use cat litter for the back portion where the poo goes. Keeps the smell down and it's the easiest to clean.

Scales of legs look o.k. to me, so likely her problem is not Scaly Leg Mites.
If you saw mites or lice on her, then treating with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust would be a very good idea.

What do you feed her?
I would try some B-Complex - give her 1/2 tablet once a day.
Check her whole body for injury, bruising, scabbing.

Has she started laying eggs yet? Does her abdomen below the vent between the legs have any swelling or fluid?

I would hazard a guess that she may be suffering from disease like Marek's and the bugs are a secondary issue.
Supportive care of vitamins and placing her in the sling for monitored periods of time may be beneficial.
See that her crop is emptying overnight and get some photos of her poop.

Some birds can improve even if Marek's is causing their symptoms, while others decline further. Each day you will need to determine her quality of life and if you need to continue to offer her specialized care or if she needs to be put out of her misery.

Back
Top Bottom