Emergency please help!

OrpieOwner

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
4 weeks ago, my chicken had a bunch of fluid, almost like the fluid surrounding the yolk, come out of her, except there were no shells or yolks. Throughout this week, we have noticed that her butt is matted with poop and dirt. Today, when we went outside to check on her, she was laying down in the corner, not moving, heavily breathing with her eyes closed. We approached her, and she opened her eyes and looked at us. We gently picked her up, brought her into a pen inside, and are keeping her warm. She does not eat, but I have managed to make her drink some water with :(a syringe. She is a female Lavender Orpington, purebred, with a normally straight comb. At the moment, her comb is flopped over, and she isn't moving her feet. Does anyone know what is wrong, or how I can help here get better? I really don't want to lose her, she is one of my favorite chickens. If the description isn't enough, I will post pictures.:(

Now she is dripping brown liquid from her behind. I am very worried. Please, someone help!

It would be good to post some pictures. She might be prolapsed (when an egg gets stuck inside of her). You could try searching up prolapsed hens too, and check to see if any of the symptoms match. I'm not really sure how to treat prolapsed hen, unfortunately though. But if you think the symptoms of a prolapsed hen fits your chicken, you could try searching up treatment for prolapsed chickens. I hope she gets better!
hu.gif

Thanks for all your help BravewingTheHen, but my girl died. All we heard was fluttering and when we ran to go check on her, she was dead:(

It could have been egg yolk peritonitis from internal laying. So sorry for your loss. I doubt if there was anything you could have done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom