EMERGENCY! please reply!

redroosta

Flown the Coop
10 Years
May 29, 2009
okay is it normal for baby chicks to sleep alot on the day that they hatch. mine is fully dry and he hatched today and he sleeps quite alot. please reply because I am worried he will die. he eats drinks even grooms himself just fine.

Its alot of work breaking through that shell she is probably just tired! If she is eating and drinking then she should be fine. you can also try to mix some sugar in the water to pep them up a bit.

good luck

Just think about what the chick just went through! It was a whole lot of work for that baby to make it into this world.
wink.png

I got day old chicks today and they eat, drink, play and then fall asleep where ever they are, sometimes standing or just all plopped down. One was asleep today standing up with her head on the ground.

I'm no expert, but I think for the first few days, they are like baby humans, they need sleep. Eat, drink, sleep and poop. That's what they do.

Good luck!

You got to think of all the exertion that little chick did to get where it is. We got chicks a friend hatched. When we got them they were a full 2 days old. We got them home and into the brooder and they crashed and slept so hard we must have called our friend 20 times. They sleep hard, they wake and play hard, five minutes later they are out like a light again...

There is a thread somewhere around here with pics of a chick so zonked out asleep it LOOKS dead, but isn't.

We're in the middle of our first incubated hatch here. Our first guy is out and sleeping. We hope to find more in the morning, or whenever I wake up to go look again... Gonna be a long sleepless night.

You are probably ok. Leave that bator closed so the others have the optimum environment, heck that little one needs that too...

Good luck

Michael

Mine do the same thing. kinda like the baby thing. sleep, sleep eat a bit, sleep, sleep drink, eat and sleep more.

Seems to take them a day to really perk up and dart all over the place.

I think your fine:D

bigmike&nan :

You got to think of all the exertion that little chick did to get where it is. We got chicks a friend hatched. When we got them they were a full 2 days old. We got them home and into the brooder and they crashed and slept so hard we must have called our friend 20 times. They sleep hard, they wake and play hard, five minutes later they are out like a light again...

There is a thread somewhere around here with pics of a chick so zonked out asleep it LOOKS dead, but isn't.

We're in the middle of our first incubated hatch here. Our first guy is out and sleeping. We hope to find more in the morning, or whenever I wake up to go look again... Gonna be a long sleepless night.

You are probably ok. Leave that bator closed so the others have the optimum environment, heck that little one needs that too...

Good luck

Michael

he came from a broody but she rejected him.​

Back
Top Bottom