Emergency - possible botulism, toxicity

Last edited:
So she would have seen excessive discharge that afternoon.

Not sure about ducks, but when I eat salt, I get thirsty.

So, I am still trying to get my head around this so called Epsom salt toxicity, and how it mimics Botulism poisoning.
And when you get thirsty from eating salt, what would happen if you drank salt water instead of fresh? You would dehydrate faster. It is why people die faster if they drink ocean water when lost at sea. The OP said she had both the Epsom salt water and fresh out. What if a few of them drank too much of the Epsom salt water?
I love Epsom salt and I think it has many great uses. I have my ducks soak in it if they are limping. But, too much, on a hot day, could result in dehydration. That really isn’t Epsom salt toxicity it is just what salts do. The symptoms of dehydration are very similar to Botulism: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dehydration-symptoms-cure-and-prevention.678722/
It also seems logical to me that dehydration was the issue since all but one recovered after rehydrating. Still, you could be right and they got into something and it was Botulism. Which is why I suggested she ask her vet.

Hi Lydia, the other two are completely fine and Daisy made it through the night. Her symptoms have not improved, but she has not worsened. She is drinking water better and more willingly, but has not eaten as far as I have seen.

I usually use poultry cell or a general electrolyte mix to add to their water which typically perks up any birds fast, just not this time. I have niacin capsules and know how to tube feed if needed. My livestock vet basically said to continue on as I am doing, I can’t get in until the end of this week. Fingers crossed all goes well! I had a similar incident last year, before I knew about botulism/toxicity symptoms, I treated with vitamins and my vet had me use antibiotics until i could get in. She was fine 3 days later. Oddly, these two incidents are not the first time i have seen/heard of cases like these with welsh harlequins and silver appleyards. Just an odd coincidence. I don’t want to use antibiotics with her, and I am hesitant on a flush as it’s been over 24 hours unless you think she could still benefit from one.

I thank you for all of your time and advice. If you have any additional input, I greatly appreciate it ❤️
I am glad all but that one are doing well. Hopefully, she will be better soon too.

Back
Top Bottom