Emergency - possible botulism, toxicity

Feb 19, 2023
Hi everyone!

I have 3 ducks i found with symptoms parallel with botulism or toxicity of some sort. I am aware how to treat it but my issue is that I am worried it’s a magnesium sulfate toxicity. I had to do an epsom flush on my ducks yesterday morning as recommended by my vet for some unrelated symptoms. Everyone else seems fine but these three but I am so worried I accidentally added to much. The 3 were fine all day yesterday, it’s just this morning. One is unable to walk, the other are shaking but still acting normal so far, not eating as far as I can tell.

While I am at work, i have ensured that the 3 are hydrated and have them in a cool area so I can treat them once I am on lunch.

So my question is, which flush should i perform? Charcoal, molasses or another epsom (which i am weary about) and should i treat everyone or just the ones showing symptoms? If I treat everyone, how would I do that?

Thank you in advance

If you can get activated charcoal I'd use it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

If no others are showing symptoms I'd wait to treat.

Did you contact your vet for help? Can you explain why the vet rec using a flush.
I contacted my vet but have not heard back yet. I have charcoal and will be treating once I am on my break.

The vet had me do the epsom for some respiratory issues my ducks were having, which worked beautifully. I was just told to add it to their pool so they could wash their eyes and nose, and any consumed orally would help with the irritation or inflammation in their throats. I left it out with clean water as well for not even 2 hours yesterday morning and I am becoming less worried that it was the epsom salt that caused this. I’m coming down from my panic a bit because everyone else is fine except the 3, and even one of them is acting near normal now that I have rehydrated her. One is still acting poorly, though she was able to walk a bit better when i last peeked in on her. Just shaking. And the other is disabled so he can never walk, but he is no longer shaking.

I am worried it’s a magnesium sulfate toxicity. One is unable to walk, the other are shaking but still acting normal so far, not eating as far as I can tell.

Thank you in advance
Never heard of magnesium sulphate toxicity before, but the three who experiencing the neurological disorder could be botulism.
My ducks routinely drink their Epsom salt soak when I am working on their feet.

Except for one, as @cheezenkwackers said, they were likely dehydrated. Though a bit odd because they are ducks and my entire life is dedicated to me refilling their water. The other two are okay, my alpha hen who was shaking was even trying to comfort the one who still not doing well. My disabled Pekin got up and left the coop on his own to find food, which he rarely does because he has crippling arthritis, so he obviously is feeling great. As for the third, she is still shaking and though she is drinking, it is not a lot and she won’t eat. I had a longer workday than expected so I haven’t been able to do a slurry.

Her symptoms have remained the same but one of her feet i noticed was curled and she is just dragging herself around while sitting. I would hate to dehydrate her more if that’s what’s causing this but the limited water she did take haven’t seemed to help.

I am wondering if there was a toxin that the other birds managed to handle? i just sanitized their coop yesterday with a diluted disinfectant, i let it dry and did my due diligence but that’s the only common denominator between the 3 because one of them can’t really go anywhere without my help and they’re not even friends.

Anyway, do you suggest i do the slurry with her? Despite her still not being hydrated and her symptoms not worsening? What else can i do 😔

Attachments

• DDD06224-9149-45D9-98B2-AA98CCB32705.jpeg
    DDD06224-9149-45D9-98B2-AA98CCB32705.jpeg
    736.9 KB · Views: 1
Except for one, as @cheezenkwackers said, they were likely dehydrated. Though a bit odd because they are ducks and my entire life is dedicated to me refilling their water. The other two are okay, my alpha hen who was shaking was even trying to comfort the one who still not doing well. My disabled Pekin got up and left the coop on his own to find food, which he rarely does because he has crippling arthritis, so he obviously is feeling great. As for the third, she is still shaking and though she is drinking, it is not a lot and she won’t eat. I had a longer workday than expected so I haven’t been able to do a slurry.

Her symptoms have remained the same but one of her feet i noticed was curled and she is just dragging herself around while sitting. I would hate to dehydrate her more if that’s what’s causing this but the limited water she did take haven’t seemed to help.

I am wondering if there was a toxin that the other birds managed to handle? i just sanitized their coop yesterday with a diluted disinfectant, i let it dry and did my due diligence but that’s the only common denominator between the 3 because one of them can’t really go anywhere without my help and they’re not even friends.

Anyway, do you suggest i do the slurry with her? Despite her still not being hydrated and her symptoms not worsening? What else can i do 😔
I would wait until I spoke with the vet. Magnesium is an amazing ion and is necessary for life. It is in the center of every chlorophyll molecule and is necessary for animals to have energy. But, it can cause dehydration. I would keep giving her water and call my vet before I gave them more.

I would wait until I spoke with the vet. Magnesium is an amazing ion and is necessary for life. It is in the center of every chlorophyll molecule and is necessary for animals to have energy. But, it can cause dehydration. I would keep giving her water and call my vet before I gave them more.
I can’t tell for sure but I don’t think she is pooping. I have moved her into my disabled ducks room in our house but he sleeps on bedding so I’m going to move her into a different carrier with puppy pads to monitor. I know she hasn’t eaten but i don’t think she has pooped once anytime I’ve been around her today. I am likely just freaking out but she isn’t getting better, luckily not getting worse either. I left a message with my vet this morning and will try my other vet tomorrow. She isn’t quacking anymore but can still hold up her head and scoot around which i do think is a better sign.

Back
Top Bottom