EMERGENCY! Probable Egg Yolk Peritonitis

vickiecampbellusa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
North Carolina
I really need advice a.s.a.p. (There's not a vet in my area for chickens).

I found posts and replies to another frantic BYC member (SeaChick) on 7/7/2009... which have convinced me our big white hen "Sunny" (prob. 10 lbs), has Egg Yolk Peritonitis! She's going down hill fast... her comb and wattles and getting darker each day.

Our (only) hen, Sunny (Maybe a Cornish Cross - we rescued her at 4 wks old Jan. 2011), has been sick for a few days, and 48 hrs. ago we moved her inside to see if we could make her more comfortable and noticed her symptoms more closely. (She normally free ranges and goes in at night). She sleeps in a cage of wirecloth so her poop goes thru... and we clean it daily. She also eats good quality food and forages in the yard for crickets, worms, etc.

She has ALL the symptoms I read about... All poops are runny yellow-white (almost the whole excretion is yellow... w/ little bits of green pea-size poops... 3 DAYS NOW. I wanted to upload a photo of her poop, but I tried 2 or 3 times without success yesterday. poor appetite, comb & wattles are turning dark, and she doesn't want to get up much. Her comb/wattles were HOT this morning. I tried giving her some blueberry yogurt, but she refused it. Our local grocer does not have plain yogurt with cultures. I'm concerned about her getting dehydrated. Today, she won't drink at all by herself! I've been using a medicine dropper, which is difficult. She's not eating her usual food... only eat scrambled eggs since she's been ill. My husband did put a little water in the eggs a little while ago and she ate them all.

The posts mentioned treating with penicillin... I have some Penicillin K (500 mg tabs) recently prescribed for me? I just wondered if I crushed it up 1/2 tab and sprinkled it in her food? (the closest farm supply is 40 mi. away)

If my penicillin is out of the question... (I understand if you think not) smile

I just called the farm supply - they only have Injectible Pen G for cows/horses - which has - 300,000 units and 139 mg of Procaine Hydrochloride - 3% Potas. Phosphate). I am afraid to inject her... but the lady at farm supply said I could give it to her in her food/water also. Can I use this and dilute it? If so, how much and with what?

Her butt is messy but I haven't given her a bath... can I use a little dish detergent or shower gel (shampoo)? In summer we only gave her cool water baths without soap.

I love your website, but I've not wanted to post much... I'm a little shy about asking for help! And NOW... I REALLY NEED IT !!!

If you can offer some help, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. We're so new to this... we've already lost our other 2 hens this year. They were such sweet pets! My husband (retired) cried when both of them died! Sunny is his little buddy... and he is heartsick right now. We don't want to loose her too!

That penicillin is what I have and it works. I have injected it subQ into my chickens with good luck... however, I have a hen with staph right now and am having to consider using it on her. I researched last night and, although the bottle says NOT to use it intramuscularly on cattle - everyone here seems to agree that the injection should be intramuscular... 1/2 cc, about a 1/4 inch into the thick of the breast meat. Be sure to pull back on the plunger once in to make sure you're not in a vein (ie if you see blood, you need to withdraw and try again). Do this for 3-5 days. One of my girls had EYP and I did it 3 days and she was fine. Another girl...it took 4. You'll have to judge.

Other input welcome!

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I decided to crush one of my penicillin tabs... (my husband insisted) and we mixed it with some of her eggs and some in some water with honey. I used the medicine dropper to get most of it in. Later, my sister happened to be in the city where the farm store is... and she bought the bottle of penicillin but no needles. I got some needles from my mom... but they are 1/3 cc (used for insulin. Sunny weighs at least 9 lbs... she's big! My hubby's gone to Wal-Mart for plain active cultured yogurt and ask about the 1/2 cc syringe too. What about giving her a little of a diuretic pill? I've also read that will help release her of some of the fluid she's building up. Pray for her! We have been for days... God's will be done, but sure hope it's to let her stay around ... healthy! a little longer.

Interesting... when she does stand up, her comb and wattles turn a healthy red. We took her outside and she seemed to get better, but she could only stand for a very short period of time. She ate a few crickets without hesitation... so now, my DH has gone to the fishing store to buy more! Life with backyard chickens is never a dull moment! (And you don't even know about Buddy our game rooster (also rescued)... who stays in the chicken tractor
smile.png

Again... thanks so much for the input. And YES... Other input would be welcomed greatly!

Back
Top Bottom