Sick specked sussex hen!

Lalagirl

Hatching
Dec 31, 2023
My chicken is about 4 years old and has been sick on and off for about a year. I noticed her acting lethargic and when I pick her up I could feel her sturnaum and she weighed about a pound she was skin and bone. She was not eating the treats I was giving to the chickens and when I went to catch her she didn't even notice me till I grabbed her. He comb is a pale red and when we put food in front of her she pecked at it a bit. I felt her crop and it was super squishy like she ate mud. Im gonna give her some Pedialyte and try to get her to eat. I feel like she's about to die in the next few days. She's not coughing or sneezing but her butt is caked with poop. Any advice?

Rinse off the poop to see if she's wounded.
What's her age and diet? Does she lay?
3 1/2 with layer feed, gets mealworms, sunflower seeds, and oats as treats. They're also free ranged. I don't think she's laying.

Last edited:
3 1/2 with layer feed, gets mealworms, sunflower seeds, and oats as treats. They're also free ranged. I don't think she's laying.
I just got home and gave her some Pedialyte. I noticed that she would shake her head. I tried to get the poop of her but and it was a hard ball the size of a golf ball; I definitely don't think she been able to poop. I would soak it of but it's to cold out. Edit: I ended up just cutting it off. She drank about 4 tablespoons of Pedialyte but still would not eat.

Last edited:
My chicken is about 4 years old and has been sick on and off for about a year. I noticed her acting lethargic and when I pick her up I could feel her sturnaum and she weighed about a pound she was skin and bone. She was not eating the treats I was giving to the chickens and when I went to catch her she didn't even notice me till I grabbed her. He comb is a pale red and when we put food in front of her she pecked at it a bit. I felt her crop and it was super squishy like she ate mud. Im gonna give her some Pedialyte and try to get her to eat. I feel like she's about to die in the next few days. She's not coughing or sneezing but her butt is caked with poop. Any advice?

I just got home and gave her some Pedialyte. I noticed that she would shake her head. I tried to get the poop of her but and it was a hard ball the size of a golf ball; I definitely don't think she been able to poop. I would soak it of but it's to cold out. Edit: I ended up just cutting it off. She drank about 4 tablespoons of Pedialyte but still would not eat.
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen and her poop?

If she didn't seem to notice you until you picked her up, then she's in a bad way and may not make it.

I'd try to move her to a warmer place if it's really cold, perhaps a garage or shed that may be warmer?
Provide her with some cushy bedding or straw that she can snuggle down in to, if she's only weighing in at around 1 pound and she's not a bantam, she's probably not able to regulate her body heat very well.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, if it's still squishy/doughy like it's filled with mud, then begin treating that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen and her poop?

If she didn't seem to notice you until you picked her up, then she's in a bad way and may not make it.

I'd try to move her to a warmer place if it's really cold, perhaps a garage or shed that may be warmer?
Provide her with some cushy bedding or straw that she can snuggle down in to, if she's only weighing in at around 1 pound and she's not a bantam, she's probably not able to regulate her body heat very well.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, if it's still squishy/doughy like it's filled with mud, then begin treating that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
We moved her in to the garage and she refused to eat or drink last night and she passed the morning 😞. Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom