emergency prolapsed oviduct not staying in

A friend called me this morning to help with a prolapsed oviduct on a young -- about 21 week old buff orpingtion. Hers seemed to be caused by being egg bound. And egg was hanging from it, about 1/2 still in. I wish I'd thought to take my camera because it was something else. A friend held her, another sprayed lukewarm water over the area, and I massage out the egg. Low and behold another slipped out right after it! They weren't large though, banty sized really. I had used some hemerhoid cream to sooth the area also. I sprayed the area (quite large)! with Veterycin and pushed it back in. We also were not able to keep the oviduct in her. I'm hoping that with rest and quiet she'll get better. Left them some antibiotics for her and probiotics. Thank you all for the information on keeping it moist, etc. I'll make sure they know--this was a timely conversation!

Did any of your chickens have an egg like substance stuck to the oviduct? Mine has this and the Vet took some off with tweezers. When I try to it's very fragile and I'm afraid it will cause her to bleed. My pullet did pull the oviduct in for a few minutes last night but back out it came. It does look like it has shrunk though. The part that is still hanging out is covered in what I described (stuck egg substance) so maybe this is uncomfortable for her to have inside her. She has been drinking a lot of water (maybe antibiotics doing it). She also is still secreting fluid

The pullet I was working with had the whole egg stuck 1/3 of the way out. To get it out I had to work off that outer egg membrane--the one that is usually wet when the egg is laid had dried and stayed connected to the oviduct. I also left it once the eggs were out for fear of tearing the oviduct trying to get it out. It looked yellowish, and somewhat like egg, and a lot like the inner membrane you notice when you boil eggs and peel them. When that membrane dries a bit it yellow. There wasn't that much of it. I'm hoping as they keep washing her off it'll eventually come off, or her body will eventually slough it off. I'm sure your vet can tell you whether you need to address it or not since he/she was pulling some off.

Thanks foxflower,
Last night while I was rinsing her I removed at least 95% of the egg like substance, there was even dark looking stuff stuck to her (poop?), but I kept at it and the cream had helped loosen it too. When I finally finished, the pullet pulled in her oviduct. When she poops it blows back out but she's been pulling it back in. I guess all that stuff irritated her oviduct too so it was painful to keep it in. I did get hold of the Vet this afternoon and told her what was going on. It's hard for us to talk as both of us are busy at work and play phone tag. It did scare me because I read somewhere that you should not pull it off that it would damage their tissue, but the Vet said it would eventually soften to where I could. If I get this over with, I'll know how to deal with it again but hopefully it will not reoccur. I don't really have the money to take my birds to the Vet either but this was the worst thing I've seen so far. The medication (liquid antibiotics) is what cost the most.

I'm glad it came off and she's doing better. I'll have to ask my friends how their pullet is doing. Thanks for the info to, they may have to get it off also. I've had this happen with a cow, but this is the first time with chickens....and so much easier to deal with! I'm glad you didn't have to spend too much. I hope you gal heals completely.

Back
Top Bottom