emergency question

Yup. Cat was sleeping next to me. He was still there in the morning looking like he had two heads. Vet drilled a hole in his face and drained half a cup of pus. I thought he had a snake bite or something. Vet said he most likely got bit by my other cat. He said when lumps grow slowly, there is more of a chance it's a tumor or something severe. When it comes on fast, its generally injury related and easier to fix.

Northern MN, but was in Arizona when I had the joy of the first abscess.
Yay abscesses! Pretty skilled at doctoring those now

this tumor was not in the interior of her body... it was like when a person has a mole or wart on top of the skin... I DID NOT SAVE ANY OF THE white chia size pellets... WHY WOULD I... But there are still some left on the surface of her skin... ALL THE VETS AT MY local clinic (dogs and cats and other fur critters) had no idea where the chest lump was... it looked like hard crusted poop and granite hard like a rock. Inside it had the chia seed looking things... The vet threw away the item instead of returning it to me. SEEMS WE ARE ALL MUST MORE vet smart about chickens than the 6 of them are. Only one knew about sour crop...

I did not open the face tumor more than about 1/2" long incision. I extended my scalpel it's entire length into the growth. As I said before, no blood, no puss and it cut like grizzle. Pressing on it produced nothing. I didn't want to remove the whole thing because it would too big to close. And because I can see blood vessels along the sides of the growth. As you all know ... loss of blood for a bird creature is very traumatic.
BTW: In high school the kids called me Dr. Segal and came to me before they would go to the school nurse. Every summer I worked in the ER because I wanted to be a surgeon. My dyslexia prevented me from the non-hand skills part of doctoring... like reading the text books.
Not an internal bee sting if blood vessels alongside of the growth. A photo would be interesting if you can get one

Is the growth smooth or lumpy feeling if you palpate it?

I lost a rooster to Marek's disease related tumors. They were hiding under his wattles and hackle feathers. I didn't even notice them until I saw him trying to eat and he was holding his head sideways trying to scoop feed out of their feeder.

When I caught him there were three tumors one under each wattle and one in his neck under the jawline. They were very hard and irregular feeling but smooth. When I opened his beak I could see that they had invaded his throat also. I put him down immediately.

I would have never noticed them if I hadn't seen him have trouble eating. They were so well hidden by his hackles and large wattles.

I did an internship as an office assistant before I went into nursing. I remember the vet operating on an anal gland tumor on a dog and saying the moment he cut into it that without a biopsy he knew it was malignant. When I asked him how he could tell he told me that a malignant tumor always has a good vascular system around it. That alarmed me when you said that you noted a good deal of veining around the large mass.

I hope it isn't a malignant tumor. 7 years is a ripe old age for a hen. It bespeaks the good care she has been given.

Bless you. You are a courageous chicken parent.

I DID NOT SAVE ANY OF THE white chia size pellets... WHY WOULD I.
To add to your collection :D....
I taught sciences K-6 for 8 years as a visiting teacher. Trust me, in my teaching trunk I have enough dissected critters and parts of critters to scare most city Halloween Nuts Who Think They Are Brave. --- Namaste Ya'll ---
...and because it might have helped with diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom