Emergency! Rooster sick need help

Clm300

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone! I am a new member, but I have been using the knoledge on these forums for some time now, so first off, thanks!
Now to the situation at hand. I have a 2 yr old rooster who has been getting progressively lethargic over the past week or so. I separated him from his flock 2 days ago when I started seeing his comb turn purple and I started him on Tylan 50 yesterday (tonight he got his second .5 ml dose), which I was planning on giving orally for 5 days. Today I started him on an active culture greek yogurt, electrolyte supplement (both of which I have been periodically forcing him to consume), and gave him a dusting with DE just in case it was some kind of mite or other various arthropod that was causing his symptoms. Tonight I have noticed that his comb, which was dark purple at the top, has started back red (still some purple), but now he is cranking his neck to one side of his body with his head tilted towards that side. He straightens it occasionally for a brief moment, but ultimately returns it to that side position. Any advice you guys can give on the situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Which way is he pointing his neck? He could have a crop problem. The crop is on the upper right chest... food is stored there right after he eats. Sometimes the crop can get clogged with long fibrous material like grass, especially if he doesn’t have access to grit. Can you check his crop? It should be full before bed and emptyin the morning before he consumes anything.

2 yr old rooster who has been getting progressively lethargic over the past week
his comb turn purple and I started him on Tylan 50 yesterday (tonight he got his second .5 ml dose)
Tonight I have noticed that his comb, which was dark purple at the top, has started back red (still some purple), but now he is cranking his neck to one side of his body with his head tilted towards that side.

Hi @Clm300 Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your rooster?
What does his poop look like?
What do you feed?
Any respiratory symptoms?

The craning of the neck could be an indication of a crop problem as suggested by @micstrachan so it's a good idea to make sure it's emptying properly overnight.

The holding/tilting of the head to the side could also be Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom-some causes include vitamin/mineral deficiency, head injury/trauma and diseases like Marek's and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

I would offer him poultry vitamins that contain E and B vitamins. See if he will eat a little egg or tuna for you, that will provide some Selenium. Try to keep him hydrated.

Since you started the Tylan50 I would finish the course, but you may want to check your dosage. How much does your rooster weigh? Tylan50 is most effective when given 2-3times a day as well.

Let us know how he's doing.

image.jpg

Which way is he pointing his neck? He could have a crop problem. The crop is on the upper right chest... food is stored there right after he eats. Sometimes the crop can get clogged with long fibrous material like grass, especially if he doesn’t have access to grit. Can you check his crop? It should be full before bed and emptyin the morning before he consumes anything.

Thank you for your reply. His head is held towards his right side. I’m looking up how to check the crop now as I am a relatively amateurish chicken owner.

Hi @Clm300 Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your rooster?
What does his poop look like?
What do you feed?
Any respiratory symptoms?

The craning of the neck could be an indication of a crop problem as suggested by @micstrachan so it's a good idea to make sure it's emptying properly overnight.

The holding/tilting of the head to the side could also be Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom-some causes include vitamin/mineral deficiency, head injury/trauma and diseases like Marek's and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

I would offer him poultry vitamins that contain E and B vitamins. See if he will eat a little egg or tuna for you, that will provide some Selenium. Try to keep him hydrated.

Since you started the Tylan50 I would finish the course, but you may want to check your dosage. How much does your rooster weigh? Tylan50 is most effective when given 2-3times a day as well.

Let us know how he's doing.

Their haven’t been any respiratory issues that I have seen. I have posted pictures for your reference. I have been feeding him chick starter because it seems like he would rather eat that compared to layer pellets. I should have mentioned it in the OP, but his electrolyte supplement is also a vitamin supplement that has 9IU E and 20 mcg B12. Should I provide additional vitamins?

*edit* I should add that his poop has been watery and mucus-like before this morning. This morning it looks like the picture above.

Last edited:
Poor fella.
How long have you had him?
It looks like he has Wry Neck. I would increase the vitamins - sometimes it's easier to use human vitamins. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 crushed B-Complex a day. If he will eat egg or tuna that will give him sufficient selenium.

Wry Neck can be caused by a number of things and can be hard to overcome, hopefully the vitamins will start to help.

You may need to help hold his head so he can eat/drink (video below). Try that for a few days or you can tube feed him if needed. If you happen to lose him, sending his body for testing can give you answers to the cause of his decline.

image.jpg
Their haven’t been any respiratory issues that I have seen. I have posted pictures for your reference. I have been feeding him chick starter because it seems like he would rather eat that compared to layer pellets. I should have mentioned it in the OP, but his electrolyte supplement is also a vitamin supplement that has 9IU E and 20 mcg B12. Should I provide additional vitamins?

I will try the human vitamins and tuna. He is eating and drinking by himself and he will hold his neck normal sometimes. It’s pretty weird. I just have to force him to eat the yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom