Emergency-scalped male??

I agree with @shrimpsilkies, if you're not seeing the girls pick on him, he may be past danger. Keep an eye on them though. Any sign of pecking on him, remove the culprit, not him.

As far as medicine, my quail have been good with either/both Vetericin and Brave Soldier Antiseptic Quick Healing Ointment.
I checked on him this morning and none of the girls have pecked him at all, I saw boomer follow him around a bit but no pecking. His scab is pretty dry and he ate some sunflower seeds I tossed in. Thank you for the advice! I tried putting him in isolation and he began crowing immediately, so I put him back in, and so far so good. I’m at work now but will check on him tonight again.

How is he now?
I actually was going to start a thread on his recovery! I came home again and it looked like his scab had reopened-he was dust bathing, but I didn’t want to take the risk that it had been one of the girls again, so I separated him into a little quarantine for now with as many seeds, feed, greens and hay as he wants! I’m planning on making it nicer in a bit, but I didn’t have much time. I’m using Bixx for Chixx right now as the wound doesn’t seem inflamed. He is in good spirits now that he’s alone! Pecking, even acting ~zesty~ when I reach in to grab him for his spray. (Fluffing up and backing away and pecking a little-much more like cranky old Blondie :) ) I’ll keep you updated, I’m planning on putting a divider in the hutch so he can “see” the rest of the birds while he heals. Heres some pics of him/his little home right now.
CEFACFDE-0E90-4778-A44E-7C5EBE688ADC.jpeg

I have noticed that sometimes reintroducing a separated male after too long makes the hens unreceptive and aggressive towards him. I can’t exactly see how badly yours is hurt, but I would keep him indoors at most until the scab is off, definitely have him back in as soon as possible. be aware that if the hens attack him on reintroduction, that isn’t too unusual.

I have noticed that sometimes reintroducing a separated male after too long makes the hens unreceptive and aggressive towards him. I can’t exactly see how badly yours is hurt, but I would keep him indoors at most until the scab is off, definitely have him back in as soon as possible. be aware that if the hens attack him on reintroduction, that isn’t too unusual.
For sure! That’s why I’m going to try the clear divider and worst case scenario I just keep the little guy on his own and try to reintroduce the girls one by one and figure out who’s the nasty one. I can get a better picture of his scab today! It’s about penny-sized and some larger clumps but I didn’t see any skull, and he doesn’t seem to notice it much.

For sure! That’s why I’m going to try the clear divider and worst case scenario I just keep the little guy on his own and try to reintroduce the girls one by one and figure out who’s the nasty one. I can get a better picture of his scab today! It’s about penny-sized and some larger clumps but I didn’t see any skull, and he doesn’t seem to notice it much.
Maybe if you’re monitoring them, you can find which female is being mean through the divider. They often use a peculiar creaking or chattering noise while opening and closing their beak when about to attack.

Maybe if you’re monitoring them, you can find which female is being mean through the divider. They often use a peculiar creaking or chattering noise while opening and closing their beak when about to attack.
Got the divider in, its plastic wiring that they cant fit their beaks thru but they can see each other. I still don't know who the attacker was! They all ran up to see him but seemed pretty bored after a few minutes. He is much calmer now that he isn't "alone." Hopefully it's smooth sailing now!

Back
Top Bottom