EMERGENCY SEVERE BRAIN INJURY

You need to cover it up. Can you put the skin back over the wound, put neosporin ointment on wound, put gauze over the neosporin and then wrap her head to keep the bandage on? I looked at the anatomy of a chicken skull and I believe you are seeing her "skull bone" and not actually her brain matter. Im a people nurse, not an animal nurse but this is what I would do if it happened to one of my girls. Also he needs to be isolated from all other chickens, placed in a warm, dark place in your house if possible. Provide food and water and peace and quiet. Good luck!!

I know you don't want to hear this and would like to save the bird but, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable. Put the bird down to end it's suffering.

I'm so sorry for you both. She needs pain meds probably antibiotics and to be kept warm indoors and hydrated.
If a vet isn't available then I think the advice already given regarding baby aspirin and sugar water is good. Lift up her food so she doesn't need to move her head and offer warm boiled egg.
She needs to be warm.
I've seen chickens recover from truly horrendous injury but that said you need to be ready to end her suffering should it go badly for her.

I hope someone might weigh in regarding the injury itself and what might be best to do.

Thinking about you both tonight xx

Get her under a heat lamp. The less energy she has to put toward temperature regulation, the more energy she will have for healing.

You need to cover it up.  Can you put the skin back over the wound, put neosporin ointment on wound, put gauze over the neosporin and then wrap her head to keep the bandage on?  I looked at the anatomy of a chicken skull and I believe you are seeing her "skull bone" and not actually her brain matter.  Im a people nurse, not an animal nurse but this is what I would do if it happened to one of my girls.  Also he needs to be isolated from all other chickens, placed in a warm, dark place in your house if possible.  Provide food and water and peace and quiet.  Good luck!!

Yes I am working on covering it up. At first I thought it was the skull but it's not bone. Maybe it's muscle or flesh surrounding the skull. I don't know but what I do know is that it is soft and open flesh not bone. I have already isolated her from the flock and put her in a warm dog crate in my house with a heating pad. She is now walking around, eating, and drinking.

I know you don't want to hear this and would like to save the bird but, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable.  Put the bird down to end it's suffering.

I have no problem with culling her. Based on the improvement I am beginning to see (eye blinking, walking, chirping, eating, and drinking) I believe she has a chance. If things go south and she has a relapse or infection sets in I will do what is right and put her down. Thanks for your advice and taking the time to respond :)

You need to cover it up.  Can you put the skin back over the wound, put neosporin ointment on wound, put gauze over the neosporin and then wrap her head to keep the bandage on?  I looked at the anatomy of a chicken skull and I believe you are seeing her "skull bone" and not actually her brain matter.  Im a people nurse, not an animal nurse but this is what I would do if it happened to one of my girls.  Also he needs to be isolated from all other chickens, placed in a warm, dark place in your house if possible.  Provide food and water and peace and quiet.  Good luck!!

I agree, Another human nurse. You are looking at skull. Clean with warm soap and water apply triple antibiotic ointment, place skin flap back in place and cover with a bandage. All the other advice is perfect. I had a chicken with a leg that had the skin completely ripped from it. I did the neosporin and dressing changes and her skin eventually grew back. Never regrew any feathers on that leg, but she lived! Good luck!

I'm so sorry for you both. She needs pain meds probably antibiotics and to be kept warm indoors and hydrated.
If a vet isn't available then I think the advice already given regarding baby aspirin and sugar water is good. Lift up her food so she doesn't need to move her head and offer warm boiled egg.
She needs to be warm.
I've seen chickens recover from truly horrendous injury but that said you need to be ready to end her suffering should it go badly for her.

I hope someone might weigh in regarding the injury itself and what might be best to do.

Thinking about you both tonight xx

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I am taking everybody's advice and I have cleaned out and covered the wound. I am going to give her aspirin in a few minutes. :)

Back
Top Bottom