*Emergency* Severe breathing difficulties

I hope it all works out for you and your hen
smile.png

It sounds like a respiratory infection and could be very contagious. Some are viral and will not respond to antibiotics. They will also very often become carriers of the disease and can give it to others. Search respiratory illness for lots more threads and information on it. Good luck!

Last edited:
She's made MASSIVE improvements! : D barely sneezed 4 times last night. I am so thankful!

Today was the 3rd shot. Another hen started mildly having breathing problems so I started her on tylan also. I'm guessing that they have all been exposed so have also added a little tylan in the drinking water, just in case. If any of them come down with the same thing I plan to start the injections immediately.

Here's the question: do I keep Au on the tylan for the duration of time that others recover or after her 5 days should I stop?

I have a hen that has been sick for a while with something similar. Where do you get the Tylan? None of my other hens are sick. She is the only one. One eye is slightly swollen and she is having a hard time breathing. I was thinking infectious bronchitis too but i don't have any idea of where to get an antibiotic for a chicken.

Last edited:
Tylan 50 is available at most Farm supply stores. It is best given by injection just under the skin in the back of the neck. It is 0.5 cc for a full size chicken and I would dose for 5 days. Just keep in mind that many of theses illnesses are viral and may not get better with antibiotics. Good luck. I hope this helps. Best, Stacy

Thank you Stacy. I looked at her again today and her eye seems to be improving. She had been molting not long ago and looked horrible. I'm new to chickens and had no idea if that was normal during molting. Everyone else seems healthy so that is good. I will look for it at my Cal Ranch or IFA here.

I bought my Tylan-50 online through jeffers? But recently found a local feed store that carries it also. The bottle will say that it is not for chickens but for cows and such. Lots of people use it for their hens though.

I accidentally found out one day that putting Vet-rx in one of my hens ouzzing puffy eye cleared it up within HOURS!

My little silkie lady passed away. after 5 days she was looking better but not perfect. I was beyond thrilled. and thought I would follow the 5-day prescription to not overuse the antibiotic. I was dead wrong. She started going downhill and even though I still gave her extra warmth and healthy treats 2 days later she was worse than ever. I re-started the tylan but it literally seamed to have absolutely no effect. It's clear now that I should have gone past the 5 days. She'd be in her house instead of buried under the almond tree. :C I also wouldn't have this big gash in my heart : (

I hope your girl has a better fate than mine. I'd have the antibiotic and needles on hand! since youre new, garlic and apple cider vinegar (raw, like braggs only) works great as a preventative antibiotic, but not much help once sick.

I do wish we could put together some kind of health chart with symptoms and success rates of treatments. I've spent weeks reading through post after post. The last time I took my girls to the vet it was $400, but they got better. This time I couldn't get an appointment and chicken vets are extremely rare and in demand. The vets do have access to a stronger antibiotic, I think baytril or something like that.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry! I have a friend who lost her flock recently to raccoons and she has been devastated. I have only lost two early on (mole poison and an unknown cause) but I had not grown attached to them. I'm so sorry for your loss. I will get the antibiotic ans syringes and keep them on hand.

Back
Top Bottom