Emergency! SICK CHICKEN!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckking, Oct 6, 2012.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I went outside today to feed my chickens and ducks when I looked over and saw my jersey giant standing alone. She has a plae comb and is closing her eyes it looks like she is haing trouble keeping them open. Usually she is running around and hates to be touched but when I went near her and started petting her he didn't even move. She made a few cops but no running away likes usuall I lifted her wings to check and see in a roaster had scratched her but there is nothing. I haven't seen her eat or drink. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER? I lost a chicken last week and I don't want to loose another. What should I do?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What does her poop look like?

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Im not sure she is in with 7 other hens so it's hard to tell who's poop is whos.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well you can try checking her for mites, lice and creepy crawlies. Sounds whatever it is is killing your birds. Look under the tail/vent, on the legs, under the wings, neck area. A bad case of mites can kill the birds. I would suggest dworming them along with a mite/lice treatment at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by