EMERGENCY: Sneezing/ breathing issues with duckling! Please help!

myducklingjourney

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
Hello! I have recently got some ducklings. They are about a month old now. One of them was a bit of a runt however, and she sadly had problems growing, as well as developed leg problems due to niacin deficiency and went almost lame. Thankfully, I managed to reverse the leg issue in time, by separating her from the flock and giving her some extra care. A little ago I noticed her nares had been almost shut due to some dry food that clogged in. I used a blunt end toothpick to get it out, and gave her a warm bath and most of it appeared to get out. The next day however, she started having a weird, crackly breathing and I got some more of the dried food out the same way, but it would not stop to this day. The crackly sounds got worse ( I'd like to add that she does have a deep enough water bowl in her brooder) and today she started acting even weirder. She started sneezing and let a clear liquid out of her nares and is looking weak. Please help! I got super attached.

I thought of getting one of those bulb syringes for babies to get the stuff out her nose, but I cannot do it until like 4 hours from now. Is it a good idea?

Can you get a picture of your brooder setup including the water dish? Also if possible a picture of her nares?

When you were using the toothpick to clean our her nares did you push any of the further inside or did you pull it all out?

Back
Top Bottom