Emergency! Temp keeps climbing need help day 18 !!!

nataliab

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hi guys so I'm up to end of day 18 just places eggs horizontal in the incubator, I have an auto turn. Can't regulate the temp now though to just 100 degrees farenheit. It keeps going to 105. I have to open the door to make it go back to 100 I'm worrie please help me, I have vents open cold water just put in the bottom on a tray and have no idea what to do because I can't leave the door open!!! Help me!!!

What is the brand name of your incubator? One reason that the temp keeps going up is the chicks in the eggs are now emitting a tiny bit of heat. What is the temp up to and does it stay steady after it goes up?

Hi guys so I'm up to end of day 18 just places eggs horizontal in the incubator, I have an auto turn. Can't regulate the temp now though to just 100 degrees farenheit. It keeps going to 105. I have to open the door to make it go back to 100 I'm worrie please help me, I have vents open cold water just put in the bottom on a tray and have no idea what to do because I can't leave the door open!!! Help me!!!
Sounds to me as if the thermostat has went haywire.
I am new to incubating, but do know that 105* for very long will cook those little nuggets! I built my incubator, and I was just thinking last night that it needs not only an extra heat source, but also a second thermostat.
I would hate be incubate a set of eggs for 15 or more days then either the heater or thermostat quit working for whatever reason.
I hope you can get it figured out quickly.
I do not believe your temperature going up so much has anything to do with the unhatched chicks, if it were the case, the temps would have been climbing slowing over many days, not all at once.

eggs are now pipping but only the isa browns. the new hampshires arent any different but i kno theyre in there. i have a problem though. i cant close the door for too long or the temp goes up to like 105 f. i have one egg so pipped and open that the beak and feathers are sticking out but the baby's just comfortable and the membrane keeps drying out. i dont know if its safe to help out or not, i have dabbed a little water on the membrane but the baby's not bothered about coming out. does this mean she/he hasnt absorbed the yolk sack?

eggs are now pipping but only the isa browns. the new hampshires arent any different but i kno theyre in there. i have a problem though. i cant close the door for too long or the temp goes up to like 105 f. i have one egg so pipped and open that the beak and feathers are sticking out but the baby's just comfortable and the membrane keeps drying out. i dont know if its safe to help out or not, i have dabbed a little water on the membrane but the baby's not bothered about coming out. does this mean she/he hasnt absorbed the yolk sack?

It is not safe to help, at least not this early in the hatching!
I have no idea the type of incubator you have, but can you open the top and place a pencil between the top and side to give it an area to vent the excess heat out? If not, you need to figure out a way to keep the temperature at about 99.5* The hatching can take 2-4 days from the fist pip, to the last hatch, and I am pretty sure you don't have the time to sit by the incubator for that long.
Good luck, and congrats!

All is well, I have 7 out of 13 eggs hatched, one is hatching now and I hear peeping. One problem - one chick has hatched with quite a bit of its yolk sack not absorbed yet. It's breathing but laying quite still and has dried over but not fluffed out if that makes sense? It's as if it wa too early but I don't think I should do anything. I did however get a little warm water and an earbud and dab some water in the vent/opening so it doesn't dry out? No other chicks fumbling around but ill keep an eye on it. I do how it survives :s :( this is Audrey, the first to hatch :) little isa brown x New Hampshire :)

Back
Top Bottom