Emergency | Terrible Bumblefoot and I feel like I’ve done it all!

BrittsHenHouse

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
Hi Team,
A couple of my poor girls got bumblefoot. 2 of them are doing great and basically healed in 3 days.

The 3rd one was so bad, I feel terrible. We’ve been living in a hotel since the Texas storms so I just haven’t been spending as much time with the girls and this one in particular likes to keep her distance… I have however learned that I will be checking everyone’s feet at night from now on!
Her bumble was almost the entire foot pad and came out not just the bottom, but 2 locations on the side. I cut out the scab and as much yellow as I could see below.
I packed with neosporin and put some drawing salve because I didn’t feel like I got all of the infection…but I didn’t want to keep digging in her foot.
Day 2: the wound was filled with yellow pus again so I cleaned and packed it again.
Day 3: same situation. The pus is never a hard kernel, always cottage-cheesy.

I was going to maybe give more time before cleaning it out again, I dropped some Corid in their water, but I think she needs something stronger.
Should I leave it alone? Should I continue cleaning out and packing.
The other girls got better so quickly! I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing.

the photo with the scab is from YouTube, but fairly similar with how much of the foot pad it occupied.

the one with the open wound is when I was cleaning it earlier.

Attachments

• CF7B09EF-E8B1-4835-8A3D-1D6F1B34BCE3.jpeg
    CF7B09EF-E8B1-4835-8A3D-1D6F1B34BCE3.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1C81E53D-892E-47F2-9D61-7EB3F5343F8E.jpeg
    1C81E53D-892E-47F2-9D61-7EB3F5343F8E.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 84AC655D-1148-4BF3-B2A6-1A790A1EF9B2.jpeg
    84AC655D-1148-4BF3-B2A6-1A790A1EF9B2.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 12
Never seen that on a chicken but it looks painful. Can she walk? Where I live it would be treated by covering it in warm ashes. Ashes would keep it clean from bacterias and dry, and I would assume it would heal with cleaning and reapy ashes a few times. However it is pretty deep so it needs to have a chance to heal without getting wet. Scabbing would be good so maybe let it scab up.

Never seen that on a chicken but it looks painful. Can she walk? Where I live it would be treated by covering it in warm ashes. Ashes would keep it clean from bacterias and dry, and I would assume it would heal with cleaning and reapy ashes a few times. However it is pretty deep so it needs to have a chance to heal without getting wet. Scabbing would be good so maybe let it scab up.
I was thinking it needs to scab up too. I have some Wonder Dust… is that what you mean by ash?
She is walking, but limping a bit, and she is eating and drinking well so far.

Back
Top Bottom