Emergency torn neck please help ASAP

the chicken inn

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Florida
I've usually done fine with chicken injuries in the past. Even when one of my chicken's back was torn off she survived and is still around today. This is something else altogether. This is a beloved family pet and we've been having a raccoon problem. Last night the damned thing killed another chicken and left this one maimed. I'm going to try to upload some photos because I really don't know where to start I really need direction.

IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 5
I've usually done fine with chicken injuries in the past. Even when one of my chicken's back was torn off she survived and is still around today. This is something else altogether. This is a beloved family pet and we've been having a raccoon problem. Last night the damned thing killed another chicken and left this one maimed. I'm going to try to upload some photos because I really don't know where to start I really need direction.
if the bleeding has stopped great, if its real bad, you may need to put her down. lock those birds up and set some live traps. Peanut butter, sunflower seed, part of the chicken it killed is great bait.

Oh wow, that's terrible. Poor thing! How long ago did this happen? How old is she?

So first you need get her separated from the other chickens in a CLEAN place with easy access to food and water.
Gently clean her neck - just use warm water. Might have to do that daily for a while. Next I'd put on neosprin. It would be good to wrap it with something like Vetwrap and change it out daily.

There's not too much you can do after that. I'd weigh her now and often after this to make sure she doesn't lose weight. She needs to be eating.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope your hen makes it! Please update!

Oh - electrolytes or ACV in her water would be good, too.

Oh wow, that's terrible. Poor thing! How long ago did this happen? How old is she?

So first you need get her separated from the other chickens in a CLEAN place with easy access to food and water.
Gently clean her neck - just use warm water. Might have to do that daily for a while. Next I'd put on neosprin. It would be good to wrap it with something like Vetwrap and change it out daily.

There's not too much you can do after that. I'd weigh her now and often after this to make sure she doesn't lose weight. She needs to be eating.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope your hen makes it! Please update!

Oh - electrolytes or ACV in her water would be good, too.

j

just seen those pics, looks bad, maybe put some of that triple antibiotic ointment for people on it, coons have terrible things in their mouths bacteria wise. Keep her dry and isolate her to a calm spot if you can to heal, the others will likely peck at it if you don't

I've got her in a cat carrier away from the other chickens. I'm worried that she may not eat or drink due to shock. I tried to use a syringe to give her cool water and she smacked her tongue and it seemed like it caused her pain. I'm also a little unsure about washing her neck with water because I'm worried it may cause it to start bleeding again. I'm definitely going to apply some ointment and find some electrolyte packs.

be prepared for her not to make it through the night, the shock and the bad wound, possible nerve damage too may be to much for her. I'm sorry to say this, but i would stop the suffering myself right now, i do whats I believe to be the best for the animal(any animal) not whats best for me.

Back
Top Bottom