Emergency!

Is that the bird that died? From watching that video, my gut feeling is that she had Marek's Disease. How old was she? It also looks like she has been over mated which can be a trigger for Marek's. Do you have young cockerel's running around with the flock?

Yes she is the one who died. No he’s the same age but yes those are my thoughts too that he mated too much with her. I didn’t even think about mareks. When I got her a month ago I was told she was 4 years old but the previous owner revealed to me this past week that they were 10 years old.

Are you sure she meant years and not months?? I find it hard to believe anyone would rehome a 10 year old bird. Usually if you have had them for that length of time, they are part of the family. And I would seriously doubt he would over mate her if he is also 10 years old as their hormones drop after their first year and they more controlled and considerate after that. That looks like the work of a young cockerel under a year old, with all that feather damage.

I don’t know could be the last was NOT up front with me. She told me they were 4 YEARS then told my friend they were 10. So she could’ve not told me the truth about the roo. They were foreclosed on so she did t have a choice but to sell them bc they were going to live with their kids who didn’t want any animals

Well if she was at least 4 years old, it is less likely that it was Marek's but I wouldn't totally rule it out, especially as you have just had her a month. I'm shocked that anyone would "sell" 4 yr old hens.... they should have been looking to give them away to a good home, especially if there was a rooster with them! You have obviously been taken advantage of with them. Do you have other chickens of your own as well as the ones you got from her? Is the rooster mating them too?

She did give them to me, I don’t really know her it was through a friend. She offered them to my friend first but she has too many as it is. No these were the only ones I personally have I take care of my next door neighbors. They still laid, but they were soft shelled at first and I tried to build calcium and got one hens to where it should be but the other was still giving soft shelled

Back
Top Bottom