EMERGENCY!!!!!!!

Ardizzone7

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Redkey, IN
I have a 2 yr nhr that has a swolen abdomen and her vent is starting to flip inside out. Her vent and feathers are filthy. She saw been panting and is not walking. What do I do? Help please!

Has gotten up and is moving around now but her bent still has 2 tubes being pushed out about 1/2" each. Her abdomen feels like there is a balloon about the size of a softball in it. What is this? Is it the beginning of prolaps?

She has what we call egg disease in our house - egg peritonitis. The soft and swollen abdomen is because she's full of serum and infection. I am sorry that I don't have a better answer for you, but she's on her way out. We usually put them down at or before the stage she's reached.

Look up 'Internal laying' in search area above, I haven't had this with any of our own chickens yet, but it sounds like a good possibility.
Basically a glitch in their internal mechanisms that causes the yolks to end up in the abdominal cavity instead of progressing through the system and having the shell added and being laid normally.

Another possibility is 'egg bound', basically what it sounds like, the hen has trouble passing an egg for some reason and it causes her system to back up and becomes very painful.

There are numerous threads on here that address both of these, and those threads have posts from folks with much more first hand treatment experience for the conditions than I have.

Well after reading several posts I am sure she has egg yolk perontitis. Since my chickens serve a purpose and are not just pets, we are going to put her down. It is sad but that is what must be done. She hasn't laid an egg in quite a while anyway so it is time for her to go. Thank you for all your help.

Well after reading several posts I am sure she has egg yolk perontitis. Since my chickens serve a purpose and are not just pets, we are going to put her down. It is sad but that is what must be done. She hasn't laid an egg in quite a while anyway so it is time for her to go. Thank you for all your help.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand it is best for her if that is what you think the problem is. It is never easy to loose a bird from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom