emergency! :(

jaimies888

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Recently our Rouen duck was attacked by two of our roosters. At first, I thought he maybe sprained or fractured a leg (limps) but a day later he keeps flipping over on his back and can't right himself. Could this be something nerve related? ( roosters attacked him as if they were fighting to mate w him...at back of neck) I didn't see the whole event. ..just happened to walk out and to the rescue I went. Or is there maybe another explanation for his symptoms? New at this and just want to help the little guy! Oh...he is eating, drinking and pooping fine, but cant clean or oil himself without falling over...any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

He was definitely roughed up, hard to say if there were internal injuries and how severe. If you can get a good vet's help, do so.

In the meantime and in any case, I would get the duck into a lukewarm tub of water, let him float there for an hour if you can, just to help him relax and clean up. You can observe him . Look for wounds, especially the head, neck, vent and under the wings.

Give him some poultry vitamins with electrolytes. Keep him in a safe quiet place. He may be in shock.

If there are any puncture wounds or scratches, clean them well, and keep them clean. Keep him in, away from flies that will lay eggs in any wounds.

Check his eyes - you may want to get some Vetericyn eye gel or spray to prevent scratches from becoming infected.

Please keep us posted.

Recently our Rouen duck was attacked by two of our roosters. At first, I thought he maybe sprained or fractured a leg (limps) but a day later he keeps flipping over on his back and can't right himself. Could this be something nerve related? ( roosters attacked him as if they were fighting to mate w him...at back of neck) I didn't see the whole event. ..just happened to walk out and to the rescue I went. Or is there maybe another explanation for his symptoms? New at this and just want to help the little guy! Oh...he is eating, drinking and pooping fine, but cant clean or oil himself without falling over...any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Thanks for the tips! We don't really have money for a vet..so I just have to do what I can w/ what I've got. Seems to be doing a little better. Seems to be alert and fairly happy. Gave electrolytes yesterday, maybe that will help. Still falling over...which really concerns me.:(

Back
Top Bottom