Emily the Emu.. Looking for suggestions...Update: Bad Bad News.. =(

I could tell how happy and excited you were to get her, again I am so sorry for your loss.
sad.png

No, you can clearly see the Mules tracks around her..if they hadnt been there then maybe. G&F guy walked around, but he said that he could not find any solid tracks. We have the dogs too, which makes it hard. I have pictures on my phone, but of course didn't want to post them here afraid to upset anyone.. She had a bite mark at the base of her neck on the back left side.. The dogs are usually out, they loved her.. and she was so friendly.. We left for the day, and I just should have left them out. They would have protected her..

Edited: addressed to Desert Roo

Last edited:
We were all very excited.. The school kids were going to take a field trip here to see her and everything.. After everything that I had read on the Emus, (which was a lot).. She really had someone spend a lot of time with her.. I had found out her mate was killed by a neighbors dogs..I posted that earlier.. she had gotten away.. but yet.. she loved ours.. Trusted everything.. I just dont get it.. I had thought about finding her another mate, or maybe putting her with the chicks in the new pen when they got older.. Nothing can get into that area. .. Its just crazy.. the whole thing..

Thanks though.. I had looked forward to sharing her with everyone here.. I even had the bareback pad on her the other day.. and she let me worm her and everything.. She will be deeply missed.. Emu's were a second thought before her.. but she was for sure the coolest, loyal, and amazing bird I have ever had..

Edit:.. I should say that she finally let me worm her.. she didnt like the grapes, but I did the bread trick, and that worked great.. right out of my hand..

Quote:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this news, Birdygirl. Stay in touch with us here on the site, and perhaps – as you now have taken the time to learn about emus – we can find you another Emily.

Supreme Emu

Thank you Supreme, I think we were so lucky to have found Emily. We will never be able to replace her. This was a horriable lesson to learn, and although we have the new pen we just finished, I worry. I had to give up our flock when we moved.. So we just bought some FBlack Copper Marans chicks (which I've always wanted) and I was looking at a few ducks and geese.. I dont know, maybe later on.. someone will have a baby.. but, right now..I just wanna go back in time..

Quote:

Would it have been possible for the mini mule to have bit her in playing too hard? I know my mini Jack likes to play with the others by grabbing them at the neck/wither area and biting, then hanging on......
Or was there more damage you didn't mention that made you think it was a predator......

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
In some way this showed you a week spot and now you can fix things and make your place predator proof. Please don't give up.

Back
Top Bottom