Emotional support chickens

I have two family members who have a real physical disability and use their service dogs as a guide. I get really upset that people nowadays try to take advantage of federal law that was made to protect the rights of really physically disabled people with TRAINED service dogs. It's gotten out of hand and now everyone is trying to jump on the ESA band wagon. Get counseling or medication to address your issues.

I have two family members who have a real physical disability and use their service dogs as a guide. I get really upset that people nowadays try to take advantage of federal law that was made to protect the rights of really physically disabled people with TRAINED service dogs. It's gotten out of hand and now everyone is trying to jump on the ESA band wagon. Get counseling or medication to address your issues.
Yeah, people are finding loopholes to bring their goat, emu, ostrich, baby elephant, goldfish, kimono dragon, and whatever else to public places and on airplanes with them....... especially those young females who claims to suffer from some kind of deep emotional pain but really it's just because they just got dumped by their boyfriends and couldn't live without them so they self-harm and now get a free pass to take along their pets wherever they go.

so I was wondering if any of you have emotional support chickens, and your experience with that. I'm about to start the process of making my one Blue Cochin, Max into an ESA. I just need to know if I'm allowed to bring her into public, because I get panic attacks and mood swings, and she would comfort me. Am I even allowed to take her into public? I want to take her into walmart/target, and I know chickens can carry salmonella but I'm also planning to get her vet checked + screened for parasites and anything harmful. I also plan to buy her a chicken diaper so she does not make poo everywhere. She's a super friendly chicken already so I'm not exactly worried about her behavior, it's more that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring her anywhere.

I hope you find comfort and serenity. It's not easy to come by. :hugs Even better if you are able to accomplish this without medicine (and the side effects). :)

Don't mind the arrogant and/or ignorant posts. Emotional intelligence is unfortunately not really taught or promoted in our society. However, deception and suspicion is, so it's easy to understand why people question these things.

To the original question, I would do a lot of research because it appears you will not be able to take her into public places like stores.

In all honesty, if you are struggling with going to the store, order online or send someone else until you are in the right place to take it on. It's ok to take it slow and work your way into these things. 👍

Until then, enjoy your chicken where you can and let her give you what you need :)

You guys keep this conversation civil.

I don’t have an ESA, so my help is probably little to none. That being said, I wouldn’t use a chicken as an ESA. Roaming dogs have taken out many of my chickens in my own yard, I couldn’t imagine putting my bird down for a half a minute in public where others have dogs, children, strollers, bikes, etc. etc. That would stress out me, and also my birds. Also, I bet if I brought a chicken somewhere, everybody would be asking me questions. Maybe not a problem for you, but I try to avoid people in general

especially those young females who claims to suffer from some kind of deep emotional pain but really it's just because they just got dumped by their boyfriends and couldn't live without them so they self-harm and now get a free pass to take along their pets wherever they go.

Don’t be so critical. I self harmed for years, and I’ve still never had a boyfriend. You don’t know people’s situations, and while I agree some people are abusing the system to bring their pets wherever, you shouldn’t just make generalizations like that. acting like people’s problems are insignificant will never help them overcome the problem, it will only make them turn against themselves more (speaking from experience)

In all honesty, if you are struggling with going to the store, order online or send someone else until you are in the right place to take it on. It's ok to take it slow and work your way into these things. 👍
:thumbsup :thumbsup:thumbsup

Too many folks abuse ESAs and undermine folks who really need service dogs.

Ok, seriously, like 3 days after the thread has died, OP is not coming back, likely in part because of the friendly and helpful replies they received which actually addressed their question.

Thank you for the insightful and helpful post :D :D :D

Yup, some mornin's I'm full of it!

I actually just had to get my chicken(s) officially certified as ESAs so that I could keep them; my borough has an ordinance that says, verbatim, "the raising and/or farming of chickens, turkeys, pigeons, & other livestock for the purposes of personal and/or commerical consumption of their meat or eggs is prohibited". I consulted my attorney friends (I am a paralegal myself so I had a good idea but wanted to confirm) and they all said that the statute, as written, would actually exempt my Seramas because they are pets and we are not raising them for consumption. We challenged the borough when we got a notice saying that keeping our chickens was a prohibited activity. It took about a week, but they got back to me and agreed to let us keep them if I could provide ESA paperwork for them. It was their way of basically allowing us to keep the chickens without having to admit that their statute didn't exactly prohibit ALL chickens in the first place. They didn't want it to wind up in a courtroom because if it did, the ruling would have come down in our favor due to the language used (which was not merely ineffective; it seemed to specifically be worded to provide exemptions for livestock that are kept as pets) and the cat would've gotten out of the bag. Everyone else in the borough could then just claim their chickens are pets and they wouldn't have been able to prohibit them.

So...off I went in search of a valid ESA letter. Beware of any websites that offer you one for anything less than about $120; a LEGAL ESA letter must be completed by a mental health professional that is licensed in your particular state. You must have a consultation with them and their license number and official letterhead must be on the letter. Any site that offers you one after just a short questionnaire, without having you Skype/FaceTime/speak to/meet with a doctor is NOT legitimate.

I used www.validesaletters.com for mine. It was about $180 for the letter and also included legal assistance from their in-house attorneys should we ever run into problems with someone trying to deny us the right to live with or travel with our ESAs. I filled out the short form, was called immediately, and had my letter in my inbox all within a single hour.

$180 is a lot, I know, but in my case, it was well worth it to know that it legally protected me and my animals from any borough ordinances that prevented us from keeping them.

I fully acknowledge the OP probably won’t be coming back, but I’ll post just so future people that are looking at this thread for help get some.

( ESA advice)
First of all, a chicken probably wouldn’t be the best emotional support animal. They are eaten by literally everything, and bringing them into public would put them in danger. The stress of it would also probably give the little one a heart attack. If you need an ESA, I would recommend a dog or a cat or even a horse. Dogs would probably be the best option though, as they normally like going out and don’t get eaten by everything. Cats can be ESAs, but it’s a lot harder and riskier. I has a cat in college that was an ESA, and oh boy was he a handful. Dogs being walked in public will sometimes go after a cat and seriously hurt it if you aren’t careful. Mini horses are known for being great service animals and ESA, but I don’t know how good of a plan that would be. How would you even fit a horse in a car if need be?

( me expressing my opinions on ESAs.)
And for all the people in this thread being rude about ESAs, saying they are just people trying to let their pets go out in public, and that’s not true.

Lots of ESAs are owned by young females, yes, but not because some men decided to get a new girlfriend and leave them behind. It’s because society as a whole has been treating us like absolute trash for decades. We were always taught to be perfect, whether that be being a bottle blonde or a video gamer, and those that didn’t fit were berated by everyone for being wrong. We are prone to having mental health issues, not because we broke up with a boy that probably didn’t care for us, but because most of us have had rough lives. Women are just more emotional, that’s a fact. It’s sad to see that even when we show it, when we let down our guards and seek help, society blames it on us. They blame it on the fact we can’t live without some strong man to whisk us away, on not having a Prince Charming. It really just shows how corrupt society is. We are emotional because women have different brain chemistry then men. We have different hormones, we have different upbringings, we have different lives. Men have problems too, I’m not trying to hide it. They get hurt just as often as women, they have to deal with their own struggles, they also need help sometimes. We all need help sometimes, whether we are male, female, neither, or both. We all can get mental health issues, we can all get depression and make bad choices. It’s wrong to say that some of us are just being too overdramatic, that we don’t have any real problems, you don’t know what everyone else is dealing with. Seeing a person in their mid twenties with an ESA shouldn’t make you think that they are faking it, that they just want their pet bunny to go to Walmart, you should respect their individual struggles and respect them.

And a mental disability or illness isn’t any different from a physical one. If you couldn’t get up in the morning, if you just wanted to feel something each day, if you couldn’t get out of the house because your anxiety was getting to be too much, you would want a nice dog to give you a hug, a nice horse to comfort you, a furry or scaly friend to help you through bad times. ESAs are just as important as ‘real’ service animals. ESAs have stopped people from giving up, have given people hope during their darkest hours. Saying that just because someone doesn’t have a visible illness that they don’t deserve help, it’s sick. And sadly, some people will never see that. They won’t see that people can have internal issues, that people can have problems you might not even see. So just remember, next time you see an ESA with someone, don’t think of them as just trying to cheat the system. ESAs are just as real, as important as service animals. They are service animals in their own way, they help. Everyone deserves help, whether it be to be their eyes or ears, or just to cuddle someone when they need it the most.

Saying that just because an ESA doesn’t fit into your idea of a service animal that it isn’t important is wrong. Emotional Support Animals are needed in this world, for everyone that isn’t as lucky as you. Just like a ‘real’ service animal, they have people that couldn’t function without them. ESAs aren’t just pets, they aren’t just an animal someone wants to take on a plane, they help. Help is important.

Back
Top Bottom