Emotional support needed to kill mean rooster

I had a friend who ordered straight run layers (long, long ago) and ended up with all Roos but one. (And she ordered quite a few, so you kind of wonder...) Anyway the poor little pullet finally got killed by a cat in thee process of running away from the mongol horde and they decided to harvest the wild roosters. The hubby hunted down and shot every one of them in the head. With a .22 pistol. Some people are just that good—not me.

Straight run layers?
I'm confused. :confused:
But I confuse easily at times! :lau

What do you mean by that? Was there a point to that comment?

It's collateral damage, and unfortunate, but I somehow doubt karma had much to do with it.
It was meant to be funny. There's no such thing as karma. We all make our own luck. Him shooting the hen wasn't karma for killing the rooster, it was him not using common sense and not adhering to basic gun safety.
You should have known it was in jest by the use of the term "para-abnormal" instead of "paranormal ".
:lau

Alright!! Update everyone! My husband shot him, didn't even give me a warning
I am glad though because I worked up a sweat taking his head off
So...it's a through and through shot. The meat is still good right? I'm at the point where he is beheaded and plucked. I had to stop to feed the baby and update you all
I'm going to gut it next

Not being mean but, I'm kinda giggling at this. Hey, to each their own. Just kinda picturing artillery for an emboldened emu. :oops:

A head shot is definitely best! I've put a bird in one of our live traps, and shot then. Planning on what's behind the target!!!
Mary
This is exactly what I suggested we do if we do it next time. I did give him a hard time that he can shoot a chicken but can't shoot a skunk lol.
We watched many videos on the killing and processing part but I still think shooting will be the go to until I get an extremely sharp knife

For anyone confused or put off by the fact the roo was shot- and a hen was also unintentionally hit...we are not hunters. I've never killed anything, seen anything shot for food in person, gutted fresh meat, raised livestock for food, ect ect ect...
This is a whole new ballgame, of course it won't be perfect. But quite frankly, I really don't mind the process and I even enjoyed it a little. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing I will be feeding my family something I know had a good life, good food, good hens, and didn't have some crazy growth hormones, crammed in a tiny cage never to see daylight

For anyone confused or put off by the fact the roo was shot- and a hen was also unintentionally hit...we are not hunters. I've never killed anything, seen anything shot for food in person, gutted fresh meat, raised livestock for food, ect ect ect...
This is a whole new ballgame, of course it won't be perfect. But quite frankly, I really don't mind the process and I even enjoyed it a little. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing I will be feeding my family something I know had a good life, good food, good hens, and didn't have some crazy growth hormones, crammed in a tiny cage never to see daylight
I'm impressed by yall's determination to have wholesome, safe, clean food. But I would recommend taking a course online (or in the real world preferably) on gun safety. Owning and using a gun is a big responsibility. And there is a lot more to it than just hitting what you aim at. I'm glad there weren't any kids in the bush where the hen was. A gun safety course can teach you how to avoid a gun backfiring and killing or maiming you, how far away a stray or missed shot can kill someone, plus 1000s of other safety things someone not raised up using guns might not realize.
Wishing y'all the best.

Back
Top Bottom