Emotional support needed to kill mean rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Viksceeks, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Viksceeks

Viksceeks Chirping

May 5, 2019
    Eastern WA
    So I've been playing around with the idea of raising meat chickens lately but I don't know if I have the guts to kill them when it's time has come. But now I have a rooster that needs to go he is mean. So this seems like as good as time as any to try out the butchering process before I decide to raise meat chickens. Is there any Humane quick ways to off the rooster where I wouldn't have to look at him. I think if I didn't physically see him when I was doing it it would be a lot easier

2. TinaMarieofFL

TinaMarieofFL Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Hilliard, FL
    Oh Lord. I know how you feel, had a mean rooster I kept threatening to kill but just couldn't. Then my neighbor's dogs murdered him. My girls are happier now but I feel the guilt. Good luck.

3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Kinda tough to not see them and keep you fingers have you searched here for methods
    do you have a cone to put the bird in ?

4. Viksceeks

Viksceeks Chirping

May 5, 2019
    Eastern WA
    I've read the methods, I think I like the broom one the best. It seems the least messiest. I have a fear I will start and not be effective enough, leaving him in pain

Sequel, EggWalrus and penny1960 like this.
  5. Viksceeks

Viksceeks Chirping

May 5, 2019
    Eastern WA
    No cone unfortunately, I might see if I can find one though

Sequel and penny1960 like this.
  6. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Easiest is cone hold then take put bird upside down in cone this hold them from flopping use ax or knife to cut head off you can use plywood to build a cone even then you have it

Sequel and EggWalrus like this.
  7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I'll NEVER have the heart to kill my chickens. EVER. I love them too much to kill them like that. I suppose if I had a very aggressive one that attacked me all the time, I'd give it away or if I had to-shoot it.

8. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I grew up on a farm okay 60 years ago but they are not my pets yes I talk to them
    but they have a job if unable to do it I have no problem dealing with it old lady here

9. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    I would advocate for a cone as opposed to the broomstick method. The reason being, is it's better to drain the blood out of the bird when you process it. I know this is a gruesome idea, but most animals are bled out when being butchered, makes for a better carcass.

With that said, I have only used a cone once or twice. I hang mine upside down and off with their heads. This or the cone method both work well.

The first time is always the hardest... I will never forget that first bird I had to butcher (a duck). Let's just say, the axe method didn't work so well for me. I have now butchered literally hundreds and the killing part has gotten easier but I still don't like doing it.

Once the bird is dead though, it's all downhill from there. Plucking is tedious but I promise you, it gets faster and easier with experience.

10. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    Bravo!! :goodpost:
    I always figured that if you really love your chickens, you should show them some respect when their days are over and HONOR them by eating them, rather than simply throw them in the trash or euthanizing, or whatever else folks do with their pet chickens. Seems like such a waste to me. This way, the bird is literally a part of you forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: