Any ways to get a rooster to stop crowing?

Hi, we have a Australorp rooster that is 21 weeks old and has recently started crowing .Today we are going to butcher a lot of meat chickens and wanted to butcher the australorp with them
But we love the australorp ,and we don’t wanna kill him. there anyway we can get him to stop crowing without a shock collar?
Thank you!!!
Can you re-home him?

anyway we can get him to stop crowing without a shock collar?
I have read that the crow collars kill half the roosters that they are put on.

You are talking about two different kinds of collars here.

A shock collar is usually used on dogs, not roosters. It gives an electric shock, either when a person pushes a button (training collar) or automatically ("invisible fence" that shocks when the dog tries to go over the boundary.) I have never heard of anyone successfully using a shock collar to train a rooster not to crow.

An anti-crow collar is typically a strip of velcro or fabric that goes around the neck of the rooster, as described by @Ocho 8 Farm in this thread. That is the kind of collar that you hear about killing roosters. There are also plenty of people who say it works well for them and their roosters. I have no personal experience either way.

No-crow collars are supposed to be "snug" but not "tight". (You can still slide a finger underneath it.) If you put it on a young rooster, they have to be checked for fit frequently...as he grows, it can become too tight and strangle them. (All animals grow in "spurts", so this could happen quicker than expected.) It is not intended to stop the crowing, just to make it quieter because it restricts them from getting into proper position to fill all their air sacs at one time (or so I read). I can see how putting anything snuggly onto any animals neck is risky and there is a lot of room for user error...proceed with extreme caution, if you choose to try this method.

No. You can try a crow collar but I feel they’re inhumane. If you can keep him then why not just keep him rather than cull?
Hi, we have a Australorp rooster that is 21 weeks old and has recently started crowing .Today we are going to butcher a lot of meat chickens and wanted to butcher the australorp with them
But we love the australorp ,and we don’t wanna kill him. there anyway we can get him to stop crowing without a shock collar?
Thank you!!!
I have a roo that was supposed to be a hen with a batch. I kept him and he was annoying at first, but he did stop crowing so much after about 4 months. He is 6 months old and I am glad I gave him a chance. He only crows a little bit waiting for me to open the door at 7:20 and a little bit in the late afternoon. I think when racoons are outside the permiter. He's just figuring stuff out. Give him a little more time.

I have a roo that was supposed to be a hen with a batch. I kept him and he was annoying at first, but he did stop crowing so much after about 4 months. He is 6 months old and I am glad I gave him a chance. He only crows a little bit waiting for me to open the door at 7:20 and a little bit in the late afternoon. I think when racoons are outside the permiter. He's just figuring stuff out. Give him a little more time.
I agree, my rooster is over a year old now and he doesn’t crow as much as he used to.

Thank you!!!

We had Philip, living in a residential area, and one neighbour objected to his crowing during the DAY 😫 ( at night he was soundproof locked up).
Off he went to the vet and he tried to glue the voice box, but with little success 😔.

Philip was after that like a rooster with asthma: his head would get all red and he couldn't breath properly when he crowed. Luckily he could move to a friend's smallholding but there is not much you can do....😫

Back
Top Bottom