Any ways to get a rooster to stop crowing?

If you don’t like hearing your rooster in the morning, don’t have one. If you actually believe that a crow collar is even a real option - again - don’t keep a rooster.

Glue a voice box? Are you ****ing kidding me. Disgusting.

Roosters aren’t for everyone. Sounds like the ones around here would be better off dead.

We had Philip, living in a residential area, and one neighbour objected to his crowing during the DAY 😫 ( at night he was soundproof locked up).
Off he went to the vet and he tried to glue the voice box, but with little success 😔.

Philip was after that like a rooster with asthma: his head would get all red and he couldn't breath properly when he crowed. Luckily he could move to a friend's smallholding but there is not much you can do....😫
Sounds like Philip had a shitty life.

We had Philip, living in a residential area, and one neighbour objected to his crowing during the DAY 😫 ( at night he was soundproof locked up).
Off he went to the vet and he tried to glue the voice box, but with little success 😔.

Philip was after that like a rooster with asthma: his head would get all red and he couldn't breath properly when he crowed. Luckily he could move to a friend's smallholding but there is not much you can do....😫
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully Philip's story can help other roosters. :)

It is helpful to know what things have been tried and worked (soundproof lockup at night) and what things did not work and are not worth trying in the future (vet gluing voice box.)

It's an education when looking to see if I can gain insight about my rooster's crowing. I think he does it if he hears my voice! A quick fix for that! 😉 Is it likely? He shuts up *usually* when he can see me, too.

No. You can try a crow collar but I feel they’re inhumane. If you can keep him then why not just keep him rather than cull?
Yeah i tried crow collars and each time ended in injury and once almost death

(of course i would never keep putting my animal thru it if i knew it caused suffering, but i was pretty ignorant and thought it was just due to the way i was putting it on. It wasn’t.)

If you have a bad hen to rooster ratio they might crow and fight more, but you can never truly stop the crowing no matter how much you try. Even the breeds that are supposed to crow less, you will get a few out of those that are super loud and do it 24/7.

to elaborate on the crow collar. For some people it probably works well. I simply don’t use it anymore as it has never proven helpful for me.
What happens is it can be very easy for your rooster to choke when eating, and they typically have enough room to slide their beak under the crow collar due to the feather shafts making it stick out a bit, and they get it stuck in between their beaks. Thats what happened with mine anyway, it would cause bleeding on their beaks and discomfort. The last time i have used one my rooster began to choke on food with it on and was almost unconscious. I was able to massage my roosters throat and he ended up being fine but i haven’t used one since and never plan to again.

Last edited:
I tried no crow collar before, but wasn't that much success. The best way is raise a bunch of rooster and select the quiet one out of the group. I bought a pair of Bresse recently, the rooster isn't crow much. I also got free Ayam roosters recently and select 2 quiet roosters from the group of 8. They are 5 months old and quiet enough at this time. Will see how they turn out next year. If you have the coop dark enough, most rooster don't crow after getting outside the coop. Again, there are some roosters just keep on crowing no matter the time or darkness. Here is a tip to weed out the noisy one... just go to the Youtube and find a long rooster crowing video. Play that video on the phone and the noisy one will be singing.

I had a 2 week old chick that started to crow. He is extremely quiet like i cant even hear his full on crow yet quiet. I for sure thought he would be extremely loud.

I think at that age they aren't old enough to properly crow
A while back, someone had a video of a chick younger than that, just a few days old, and it was obviously crowing (sounded like a tiny crow, looked like the usual crowing posture, etc.)

That is much early than normal, but it does happen on occasion.

I had a 2 week old chick that started to crow. He is extremely quiet like i cant even hear his full on crow yet quiet. I for sure thought he would be extremely loud.
If he was quiet when he started, I'm not surprised. Bigger chickens have bigger lungs and (usually) louder crows.

Or did he grow up to still crow quietly? Some roosters definitely are quieter than others, and I have never heard of any correlation between how early they start and how loud they end up.

A while back, someone had a video of a chick younger than that, just a few days old, and it was obviously crowing (sounded like a tiny crow, looked like the usual crowing posture, etc.)

That is much early than normal, but it does happen on occasion.

If he was quiet when he started, I'm not surprised. Bigger chickens have bigger lungs and (usually) louder crows.

Or did he grow up to still crow quietly? Some roosters definitely are quieter than others, and I have never heard of any correlation between how early they start and how loud they end up.
He is 5 weeks old now. So he hasnt progressed any with his crowing. I have 2 little roos actually. But only the one had started crowing.

Back
Top Bottom