Any ways to get a rooster to stop crowing?

FamilyOfSeven

Songster
Feb 4, 2023
Hi, we have a Australorp rooster that is 21 weeks old and has recently started crowing .Today we are going to butcher a lot of meat chickens and wanted to butcher the australorp with them
But we love the australorp ,and we don’t wanna kill him. there anyway we can get him to stop crowing without a shock collar?
Thank you!!!

I forgot to mention he has been waking us up.
And I have read that the crow
collars kill half the roosters that they are put on.
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Hi, we have a Australorp rooster that is 21 weeks old and has recently started crowing .Today we are going to butcher a lot of meat chickens and wanted to butcher the australorp with them
But we love the australorp ,and we don’t wanna kill him. there anyway we can get him to stop crowing without a shock collar?
Thank you!!!
I have a roo that’s would crow allll the time. It was annoying me so I’m sure it annoyed my neighbor. I love him and he is a great rooster!! I made a no crow collar out of velco and leftover fabric. Cost me 4 bucks ! It cut his crowing by at least 75%!
He’s fine! Still eating normal drinking normal and tending to the hens normal. I think as a last resort give it a try. It’s better than killing him because he crows too much or too loud.

I forgot to mention he has been waking us up.
And I have read that the shock collars kill half the roosters that they are put on.
Shock collars are NOT for roosters, they are a training aid for dogs. If you can’t adjust to waking up early then eating him or finding him a new home would be the most humane thing to do.

I have a roo that’s would crow allll the time. It was annoying me so I’m sure it annoyed my neighbor. I love him and he is a great rooster!! I made a no crow collar out of velco and leftover fabric. Cost me 4 bucks ! It cut his crowing by at least 75%!
He’s fine! Still eating normal drinking normal and tending to the hens normal. I think as a last resort give it a try. It’s better than killing him because he crows too much or too loud.
Awesome, do you think you could tell us how to make it?
Thanks!

Thanks!
Sure!
I measured his neck first the night before to make sure I got the right amount of velco. You want it tight but also you should be able to put your pinky tip under it to make sure it’s not too tight. He’s a silkie so 5 inches was plenty. You also want to make it a little bit bigger so you can adjust it if needed. You can always cut off excess.
I bought a roll of velcro that has the sticky back on it and stuck it to 5 inches of leftover fabric. I rounded off the corners so nothing would poke or scratch him. I cut a little piece of the hook part of the velcro and stuck it on the outside so it could wrap and be adjusted. I will post a picture in a bit.

Thanks!
Here are some pictures of mine.
The fabric part goes against the neck so it can be as comfortable as possible.

Attachments

• A6AB2739-3C87-47D0-B8BB-C72DB42A5584.jpeg
    A6AB2739-3C87-47D0-B8BB-C72DB42A5584.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 33
  • F86BE10F-DDE9-4C2F-940B-5E871AC163EE.jpeg
    F86BE10F-DDE9-4C2F-940B-5E871AC163EE.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 33
Unfortunately there is no humane way to stop crowing. If you can keep him then dont kill him. He is a young rooster and may figure out his crowing.

Back
Top Bottom