Emotional support needed to kill mean rooster

Pics

Viksceeks

Songster
May 5, 2019
Eastern WA
So I've been playing around with the idea of raising meat chickens lately but I don't know if I have the guts to kill them when it's time has come. But now I have a rooster that needs to go he is mean. So this seems like as good as time as any to try out the butchering process before I decide to raise meat chickens. Is there any Humane quick ways to off the rooster where I wouldn't have to look at him. I think if I didn't physically see him when I was doing it it would be a lot easier

So I've been playing around with the idea of raising meat chickens lately but I don't know if I have the guts to kill them when it's time has come. But now I have a rooster that needs to go he is mean. So this seems like as good as time as any to try out the butchering process before I decide to raise meat chickens. Is there any Humane quick ways to off the rooster where I wouldn't have to look at him. I think if I didn't physically see him when I was doing it it would be a lot easier
Oh Lord. I know how you feel, had a mean rooster I kept threatening to kill but just couldn't. Then my neighbor's dogs murdered him. My girls are happier now but I feel the guilt. Good luck.

No cone unfortunately, I might see if I can find one though
I would advocate for a cone as opposed to the broomstick method. The reason being, is it's better to drain the blood out of the bird when you process it. I know this is a gruesome idea, but most animals are bled out when being butchered, makes for a better carcass.

With that said, I have only used a cone once or twice. I hang mine upside down and off with their heads. This or the cone method both work well.

The first time is always the hardest... I will never forget that first bird I had to butcher (a duck). Let's just say, the axe method didn't work so well for me. I have now butchered literally hundreds and the killing part has gotten easier but I still don't like doing it.

Once the bird is dead though, it's all downhill from there. Plucking is tedious but I promise you, it gets faster and easier with experience.

I grew up on a farm okay 60 years ago but they are not my pets yes I talk to them
but they have a job if unable to do it I have no problem dealing with it old lady here
Bravo!! :goodpost:
I always figured that if you really love your chickens, you should show them some respect when their days are over and HONOR them by eating them, rather than simply throw them in the trash or euthanizing, or whatever else folks do with their pet chickens. Seems like such a waste to me. This way, the bird is literally a part of you forever.

Back
Top Bottom