Emotions Tied to Culling

For the first time, during the dispatching of the first two cocks I almost cried. The boys were my favourite chicks and have grown so fast, I knew they were going to be cocks I just really hoped they wouldn't haha. They had such strong personalities and were so good with me and the kids. I apologised to the both of them because they're the first birds I really didn't want to kill but I'm proud I managed to go through with it without mistakes.

It seems that after all, I do have some emotions. Though I felt nothing about the two yesterday ha.

For the first time, during the dispatching of the first two cocks I almost cried. The boys were my favourite chicks and have grown so fast, I knew they were going to be cocks I just really hoped they wouldn't haha. They had such strong personalities and were so good with me and the kids. I apologised to the both of them because they're the first birds I really didn't want to kill but I'm proud I managed to go through with it without mistakes.

It seems that after all, I do have some emotions. Though I felt nothing about the two yesterday ha.
I believe life experiences play a large role in a person’s emotional state when raising livestock for feed. Some ppl have no experience with death, others more.
Showing less emotion and going about culling mechanically becomes normal over time out of necessity. If enjoyment is the emotion then the line has been crossed into abnormal emotion and, dare I say it, psychological derangement.

I used to work with someone who was rabidly anti-gun. (I'm not rabid, but am pro 2nd Amendment.)

When he'd say something ignorant, like "A 38 special is the same as a Saturday Night Special," I'd tell him that, "No, they aren't, and here's the difference," followed by an explanation.

He finally stopped saying anything about guns.

I used to work with someone who was rabidly anti-gun. (I'm not rabid, but am pro 2nd Amendment.)

When he'd say something ignorant, like "A 38 special is the same as a Saturday Night Special," I'd tell him that, "No, they aren't, and here's the difference," followed by an explanation.

He finally stopped saying anything about guns.
I guess he realized how ignorant he looked...🤣

First thing my line manager says to me this morning, "did you have a nice day off, killing chickens? How sad."

Ok
I have also dealt with looks of disgust and the "how could you? I could never kill anything" type comments. To the extent the person isn't someone I can simply ignore, I try to be direct and matter with an explanation. Yes, I do find it difficult to butcher chickens. But, I don't want to be vegan, and raising my own meat gives me the opportunity to raise chickens in a much humane and healthful fashion than the factory farmed chickens at the supermarket.

In case of persistent rude comment like you are experiencing, I might also add that I find comments that suggest I enjoy killing to be offensive.

I mention I have chickens "Awww cute! How fun!" We talk about eggs with no problems.

I mention baby chicks "Awwww cute! Adorable!" Lots of darling chick pictures.

I talk about the logistics of hatching and raising baby chicks. I mention that 50% of chicks born are roosters. You have to do something with all those roosters. I try to rehome when I can, but there is no way I'm going to rehome X amount of roosters. So I put them in the freezer. They make great soup. Myself and my family have our eggers which are pets, and our eggers and meat birds which are livestock. Extra cockerels are livestock. We eat our livestock

Looks of shock, severe discomfort. "You mean YOU kill the roosters?" Well, yes. What do you think the hatcheries and factory farms do with them? You are aware the chicken you eat from the grocery store only lives about 5 weeks, right? Mine at least get to interact with the outdoors some before they go in the freezer.

I am female. I have a full compliment of compassion. I can be a compassionate person and also process my own meat.

I get the strangest looks. I think I live in the wrong place. Maybe if we moved to the country and were surrounded by more farmers I wouldn't get such confused looks. But then, probably it would still happen. After all, I have a husband. He is supposed to kill and process the roosters because he is male. Never mind the difference in our temperaments, work schedules, etc. I, as a female, might help clean or cut up or cook, but the killing part takes them aback.

How is processing and eating my own roosters any different from eating chicken that comes from a grocery store? Someone still has to hatch it, grow it, and butcher it. At least with my own chickens I know I gave them a great life, and they enjoyed it, even if it was short. The factory chickens don't even know what the outdoors is. Have they ever eaten grass? Bugs? Heard birdsong, seen sunshine?

All this to say, @BrandonsBirbs that I'm sorry they're giving you such a hard time. They shouldn't be doing that. It's unkind and unfair. They're totally wrong when they call you a murderer, and they shouldn't be criticizing you for taking responsibility for the meat you eat. Their comments say a lot more about them than about you. I would suggest you share a lot less information, like NONE with anyone who makes disparaging comments. Your life is not their business, especially if they can't be supportive. It's not easy living a different life than those around you expect you to, but the rewards are worth it when you know you're doing what's best/right for you. Sending you supportive thoughts.

How is processing and eating my own roosters any different from eating chicken that comes from a grocery store? Someone still has to hatch it, grow it, and butcher it. At least with my own chickens I know I gave them a great life, and they enjoyed it, even if it was short.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom