Emotions Tied to Culling

Instead of culling and eating them we can use them for one of their many other purposes, They could go into the chicken fighting ring, or be used to pedict the future, or used for a spiritual sacrifice, or used for lawn ornaments, or chicken TV, or alarm clock, or to pester the neighbor, or for feathercraft, or someone to talk to, or just something to damn do, or....

"Takes all kinds". No, there is nothing wrong with you. There are plenty of us here on BYC that lack the amount of (for lack of a better word, "empathy") which society insists should exist in us at levels which would paralyze us from doing what needs to be done - either to put down an ailing bird, or to put food on the table. There are roles in society for those with the paralyzing levels of empathy, too. and everywhere in between.

Do not put such concern upon how others would define us. Even if their opinions might matter (and they don't), most who would judge lack the experience to do more than compare our feelings with their imaginations and ASSumptions.

No, nothing wrong with you. If you enjoyed killing them or torturing them then I'd worry about you. It sounds like you are treating them like livestock, not pets. I'm pretty much that way. I hatch them and raise them to be food. I don't enjoy the killing part but it is necessary if I'm going to eat them.
Yes precisely, only difference is that I have no feeling towards killing them in terms of not enjoying it, I just do it. Thank you.
Not strange at all. While I would agree that most people tend to have a harder time when they 1st start killing things, it's not uncommon to feel how stated.
My husband is more like you. He had never killed anything when we purchased our homestead but when he butchered our 1st couple ducks it was fine. He didn't have any issues.
Me, on the other hand… the 1st time I had to put down one of my guineas because it had a slipped tendon that wasn't correctable, I cried. Not because it was a beloved pet, but just because it was a bit of a shock. I've killed a couple of things but I don't enjoy it at all.
Like an above poster said, if you enjoy making an animal suffer, then that's when you should be worried.
Definitely don't enjoy it and I'd never let them suffer, they're worth much more than that. Thank you!
What Ridgerunner said. As long as you're not enjoying it or torturing them, I think you could just be a more straightforward person. That's a great survival skill. I on the other hand was raised in the suburbs and was taught to feel sorry for every single animal and nothing should have to die ever. As someone who is now interested in becoming more self-sustainable, I envy you because it's a tough mindset to break. Yes, we should treat all of our animals with respect, but it's okay to accept death as a part of the life cycle. I struggle with that.
The main reason I bring this all up is because my family look very down on me for doing it, usually I wouldn't care but when I was asked, "don't you feel bad?" I responded simply "no." Since then it's been a weird form of contention between my family and myself. Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I am curious how I would find killing a goat or something, after all quail are not particularly big!
We need people who can do different things well...and having the ability to cull amd move on is a helpful trait for those of us who have a hard time with it. I may have a different ability that you don't. Its why we are all needed and valued!
I've never thought of it that way, how brilliant. Thank you.
No. The short version is, that you are recognizing their purpose. It's sad, yeah, but as long as we don't lose sight of what it is (the taking of a life) you don't need to, and shouldn't, feel bad about it.
The problem is forgetting where food comes from, in my opinion. Things die to give life to other things. As long as it's humane, you have no reason to feel bad.
I guess this is where I struggle to get my family to understand that I humanely raise these animals so they have a great life, even if it is just 6 or 8 weeks. They don't understand how you can kill something that you hatch from an egg and as much as I try to explain it I don't know if I can ever get them to understand. It's almost as if they're disconnected from where their supermarket food is coming from. Thank you.
I had a hard time at first, until my husband (who is more experienced) told me to always say a little prayer for them before culling, and thank them for their lives. It helps me a lot. Every bird gets a little prayer and a minute to "settle" before I proceed.
Another thing that helped me with "the mindset" was watching a few videos of women doing their own processing on their properties, and talking about how empowered they feel as they provide fresh chicken for their families and/or community. 🐤
Honestly, the prayer thing is cute and I did try it but I just didn't feel it worked for me. It's fantastic it works for other people and I think it's such a brilliant idea. Thank you for your personal story.
"Takes all kinds". No, there is nothing wrong with you. There are plenty of us here on BYC that lack the amount of (for lack of a better word, "empathy") which society insists should exist in us at levels which would paralyze us from doing what needs to be done - either to put down an ailing bird, or to put food on the table. There are roles in society for those with the paralyzing levels of empathy, too. and everywhere in between.

Do not put such concern upon how others would define us. Even if their opinions might matter (and they don't), most who would judge lack the experience to do more than compare our feelings with their imaginations and ASSumptions.
I think you're the only person I've seen actively mention it before and I didn't know how to tag you without it seeming rude. I haven't read every post and never will so I must've have missed the other people and that is great that there is some. Always nice to not be alone!

Yeah, I'm not great at ignoring other people's opinions, definitely something I continue to try and improve at every day. I'm a 25+ year old, 6"6 lad, skinny as can be and I look about 12. It's a hard thing to deal with all the comments on my height, weight and people ASSuming I must be so young. Such is life for many people, c'est la vie!

I think coming from a frozen food family who only bought fresh mince never meat (excluding special holidays), we didn't have much money and that was always the excuse (though as an adult I realised that's not quite true, fresh meat can be very reasonably priced). They just don't understand. But I am glad my missus understands and is somewhat helpful with it (cleans final meat after I've done the culling and things) and I think our daughter understands too. She at least eats the meat so can't be against it I think?! haha.

Yes precisely, only difference is that I have no feeling towards killing them in terms of not enjoying it, I just do it. Thank you.

Definitely don't enjoy it and I'd never let them suffer, they're worth much more than that. Thank you!

The main reason I bring this all up is because my family look very down on me for doing it, usually I wouldn't care but when I was asked, "don't you feel bad?" I responded simply "no." Since then it's been a weird form of contention between my family and myself. Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I am curious how I would find killing a goat or something, after all quail are not particularly big!

I've never thought of it that way, how brilliant. Thank you.

I guess this is where I struggle to get my family to understand that I humanely raise these animals so they have a great life, even if it is just 6 or 8 weeks. They don't understand how you can kill something that you hatch from an egg and as much as I try to explain it I don't know if I can ever get them to understand. It's almost as if they're disconnected from where their supermarket food is coming from. Thank you.

Honestly, the prayer thing is cute and I did try it but I just didn't feel it worked for me. It's fantastic it works for other people and I think it's such a brilliant idea. Thank you for your personal story.

I think you're the only person I've seen actively mention it before and I didn't know how to tag you without it seeming rude. I haven't read every post and never will so I must've have missed the other people and that is great that there is some. Always nice to not be alone!

Yeah, I'm not great at ignoring other people's opinions, definitely something I continue to try and improve at every day. I'm a 25+ year old, 6"6 lad, skinny as can be and I look about 12. It's a hard thing to deal with all the comments on my height, weight and people ASSuming I must be so young. Such is life for many people, c'est la vie!

I think coming from a frozen food family who only bought fresh mince never meat (excluding special holidays), we didn't have much money and that was always the excuse (though as an adult I realised that's not quite true, fresh meat can be very reasonably priced). They just don't understand. But I am glad my missus understands and is somewhat helpful with it (cleans final meat after I've done the culling and things) and I think our daughter understands too. She at least eats the meat so can't be against it I think?! haha.
It would only seem rude to others. I'd think it perfectly normal to tag someone of similar experience and "compare notes" as it were.

I'm into my second half century, its taken a long time to find a way for me to fit my particular skill set into the rest of the world. Fortune favor your efforts as well.

I know this is in the meat birds section and I really don't want to go down the providing food for the family, or draw a distinction between pets and livestock, or even consider how people might feel about killing any creature.
There is a difference between culling and killing. We are writing about killing here, ending a life.
I detest the task. I have lots of feelings about it. In all my years of looking after chickens I have never managed to not feel upset when faced with the prospect of having to kill another creature.
Until recently I've only taken care of free range chickens and being able to kill a chicken that has been severly injured by a predator, or chicks abandoned by their mother, sometimes partially hatched, has been the most usfull skill related to chicken keeping I've aquired.

I've seen people confronted with a chicken with horrendous injuries that no amount of medical intervention and supportive care would ever make it well, stand by and watch the bird suffer because they could not face putting the poor creature out of it's pain and misery.

Just for this alone, everyone who keeps chickens in whatever circumstances should know how to and be prepared to kill. One can't always find someone else to do the task, or wait while the bird suffers for a vet appointment. Sometimes it has to be done there and then.

I think being straightforward and rational on butcher day is probably not all that unusual. I think this forum tends to self-select for the people who are having more difficulties -- either emotionally or physically, in that they want to learn the mechanics of killing and butchering.

I know I've posted about my emotional struggles. The first couple of times was very difficult for me, so much so I even considered going vegan. I've since gotten better at dealing with it, but it's still hard. I actually strive for the mindset of the OP. I know it is necessary, so just focus on doing it quickly and humanely. I call it my game face, where I try to just shut off my emotions and get on with it. But, I totally get the OP -- as I'm getting better at shutting down the emotions, I start to wonder if that's a good thing, or what it says about me that I can do that. Reading your perspective is helpful.

And yes, some people will judge you for your actions. It used to really irk me, particularly when people who are active consumers of mass produced meat would look at me like I was cruel or wrong. Now I just shrug it off. If they really want to engage, I will, but I don't let their views bother me.

It would only seem rude to others. I'd think it perfectly normal to tag someone of similar experience and "compare notes" as it were.

I'm into my second half century, its taken a long time to find a way for me to fit my particular skill set into the rest of the world. Fortune favor your efforts as well.
That's exactly what I was getting at, the "comparing notes," happy to know it wouldn't offend you.

I often think maybe there doesn't need to be a way for you to fit in, maybe not fitting in is actually your way of fitting in. You being different can inspire others or at the very least encourage a discussion based on your differences. Thank you.
I know this is in the meat birds section and I really don't want to go down the providing food for the family, or draw a distinction between pets and livestock, or even consider how people might feel about killing any creature.
There is a difference between culling and killing. We are writing about killing here, ending a life.
I detest the task. I have lots of feelings about it. In all my years of looking after chickens I have never managed to not feel upset when faced with the prospect of having to kill another creature.
Until recently I've only taken care of free range chickens and being able to kill a chicken that has been severly injured by a predator, or chicks abandoned by their mother, sometimes partially hatched, has been the most usfull skill related to chicken keeping I've aquired.

I've seen people confronted with a chicken with horrendous injuries that no amount of medical intervention and supportive care would ever make it well, stand by and watch the bird suffer because they could not face putting the poor creature out of it's pain and misery.

Just for this alone, everyone who keeps chickens in whatever circumstances should know how to and be prepared to kill. One can't always find someone else to do the task, or wait while the bird suffers for a vet appointment. Sometimes it has to be done there and then.
You're correct about culling/killing, I purely use culling quite often as I remember this is a family-friendly space and have been told referring to it as killing is vulgar.

And I agree one million percent, anyone who owns an animal should be aware of what might happen and what you may have to do. Especially when it comes to birds, I mean even having your incubator slightly miscalibrated can lead to issues such as spraddle leg and whatnot, which sometimes cannot be saved. You must be prepared to make that vital decision.

I often disagree with a lot of posts here of people trying to keep a disabled animal alive (not all disabilities) when we never really know how that animal may truly feel or how much they're suffering. It's a tricky topic I know but I think I always recommend to cull as I feel it's wrong to do that to an animal?!
I think being straightforward and rational on butcher day is probably not all that unusual. I think this forum tends to self-select for the people who are having more difficulties -- either emotionally or physically, in that they want to learn the mechanics of killing and butchering.

I know I've posted about my emotional struggles. The first couple of times was very difficult for me, so much so I even considered going vegan. I've since gotten better at dealing with it, but it's still hard. I actually strive for the mindset of the OP. I know it is necessary, so just focus on doing it quickly and humanely. I call it my game face, where I try to just shut off my emotions and get on with it. But, I totally get the OP -- as I'm getting better at shutting down the emotions, I start to wonder if that's a good thing, or what it says about me that I can do that. Reading your perspective is helpful.

And yes, some people will judge you for your actions. It used to really irk me, particularly when people who are active consumers of mass produced meat would look at me like I was cruel or wrong. Now I just shrug it off. If they really want to engage, I will, but I don't let their views bother me.
You're definitely right, more people post about needing help than not needing it and I didn't account for that.

Interesting that it almost drove you down the complete opposite path, bet you're glad you didn't go vegan now! I think that's where I feel a bit different to some people, it's not really a mindset for me it's just how it is? I don't need to prep or think about it just get my stuff out and go. Sometimes even listen to a little music whilst I do it and think about other things. Glad to know I'm not alone and it's not a bad thing though, it's a weird feeling knowing people actually wish to have a similar "mindset" as you put it. Thank you very much.

If there's anything I've learned on this earth, people are dumb! lol
I've done a few. For both because of behavior and food. I take no pride in the deed, nor feel any shame. All have been thanked for their contribution.
Thank you for sharing!

I have realised a lot of people on this section of the forum find parts of culling quite hard, emotionally and whatnot.

Am I bad for not feeling really anything?

Of course sometimes I have been extra attached to some birds and really not  wanted to cull them but needed to, but that's happened maybe a handful of times and I've culled easily over 300 birds now.

After reading a lot of the posts here I do start to wonder if there is something wrong with me?

I did find my first cull or two hard, more because I had strong attachments to them, though.
I am glad you made this thread, as lately I have been thinking the same sort of things.
To start with, it was quite hard, but lately its just something that needs doing, as well as I possibly can. While I still feel extremely grateful for the lives I'm taking, it is not something that I feel bad about doing.

I am glad you made this thread, as lately I have been thinking the same sort of things.
To start with, it was quite hard, but lately its just something that needs doing, as well as I possibly can. While I still feel extremely grateful for the lives I'm taking, it is not something that I feel bad about doing.
No problem, I am fascinated by the different responses and ways in which people think about this whole thing. Really glad I made this thread too, I've learned plenty already! You definitely have a similar feeling to me when it comes to the dispatching, grateful but unaffected.

Back
Top Bottom