Emu chick

dnkfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Iva, SC
I have a Emu chick @ 4 months old that I would like to live w/ an older (adult) female. I put them together but by the end of the day she was kicking and pecking it so I had to put the chick alone in a separate pen. They can still see each other but the adult cannot reach the chick. Just a chain link fence separating them. She was still trying to peck it but not now. MY question will they ever be able to be together? The chick wants to be w/the adult Her not so much!

like most other animals... they will usually learn to get along.. it just takes time

Do you think that leaving the chick in the pen so Quilla (female) can see and adjust but not touch she'll get accustomed? How long do u think. It has been @ 2 weeks. The chick wants to be w/her but I think aggravated her by following her around.

Do you think that leaving the chick in the pen so Quilla (female) can see and adjust but not touch she'll get accustomed? How long do u think. It has been @ 2 weeks. The chick wants to be w/her but I think aggravated her by following her around.

it may help if you switch them between pens.. moving the baby into her pen and her into the baby's pen.. that way any territorial issues can also be addressed while she is getting used to seeing the baby

I would give them a few more weeks (once they have switched pens) then allow her to join the baby in her old pen while being supervised for a bit and see how they do

While they are in seperate areas, if they share a common fence, put a feed bucket there they both can eat from...give the younger one one also where the adult can't get it. That way the younger can try eating with the adult... Getting them use to each other.

Back
Top Bottom