Emu eggs yet?

Hi, Foulman!! Yes, long time no post.

Teach me something, please: you wrote 'male that booms all night' -- was that a typo? or is it a male that vocalises all night?

S.E.

Yes all 3 of my males boom and strut. The female will boom on occasion. They do the nesting dance and of course the pecking order amongst themselves . I have seen 2 of the males mate the 3 Rd one is just now 2 years old .he is the one who is booming all night. I introduced him to one of my young girls this weekend . He showed her how he can build a nest. Flopping onto the ground and pitching leaves and ground cover over his head onto his back. Then he ran at full speed around her with all the head turns and high kicks. She seemed very unimpressed.
All my emus male or female have an air sac on them all be it the females are a bit larger. I think they are all capable of booming grunting and growling. My birds also ,between the male and females,have a slight Color variation . The males tend to have a darker black on the top of their heads feathers while the females are nearly all grey in that area.
Since I have retired I have had way too much time to watch these birds. I spend too many hours on the ponds deck where I can overlook with out interacting. Their social structure is interesting and their intelligence is more than expected. I have seen them flip up the gate clasp and let themselves out. Requiring me to add a lock to the gate. Watched as they excluded a member of the flock after he hatched out his eggs . And saw him return over time to his original social position after months of fleeing and running away.
I think I will put Titan , my 2yo male out with two young females today and see what they go about. If I can keep him out of the pond .
I might try to get some video of their behaviors . I am just sharing my obersivations not working on a thesis. Your milage may vary!

Wonderful!!

(I shall loop back to the air-sacs thing . . . ).

No, of course you aren't working on a thesis. Why would you? I just got caught up in it 'cause I have so much data. Every detail of your birds' interactions interests me because I can compare it to mine. For example, you guys are always gonna have more info on mating than me because there is so much bush in the way where I am.

Watching emus could be a leading retirement activity -- no one ever broke a hip watching emus!! We could form a non-profit enterprise: sippin' Emoo Whuskey and rockin' chairs.

S.E.

Last edited:
we found 2 eggs today...My Guys Started Laying Eggs
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom