1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Emu eggs yet?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by ES Emus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. I saw where a North Carolina emu farm has already got chicks for sale, has egg production begun for any of the US members on here?

2. Irine

Irine Songster

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Last year my started in December, but I have saw them breeding and that was in the beginning of this month, so normally in about 30 days I expect to see an egg

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Last year mine started in Oct...but no eggs yet this year, that I can find... :D

4. me neither, I have seen behavior indicative of the birds pairing up, but no big green eggs as of yet...

5. Oooh, two mating-seasons! How much I can learn!

SE

6. foulman007

foulman007 Songster

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Mine were off playing the laying game just before dusk tonight. But I couldn't see well enough in the dark to find an egg. Last year they did not lay until mid January . But the weather is much cooler this year.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hey foulman! Been missing you on this fourm...Hehe

8. foulman007

foulman007 Songster

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    It's been a very busy year. Hopefully things will slow down and I will have time to hatch a bunch of new babies. I have 3 girls that are ready to start breeding and their mom who is laying ,somewhere. A new huge male who booms all night looking for them girls. I will keep them apart a bit longer. A question for ya why do my males strut and boom but not my females. And yes I am sure of their sexes.

9. Hi, Foulman!! Yes, long time no post.

Teach me something, please: you wrote 'male that booms all night' -- was that a typo? or is it a male that vocalises all night?

S.E.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Maybe they are cross gender??????? I don't know what would cause males to do that. All my males grunt....... All my females side walk and boom. ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by