Emu Hatch - Will it Happen?

I’m going to be watching this thread...we literally just talked about buying emu eggs at lunch today...pros and cons...once they hatch I’d like to ask you why you chose them to raise for your life....we have know two people..one had great experiences..one not great...

It may depend on your purpose for them and how much space you have. We just recently purchased 6 acres fully fenced with 4 separate pastures. 1 of the acres is dedicated to birds, chickens, turkeys, guineas and hopefully the emus. But is fully fenced and prepared for such large birds. We can house them as well, so I’m as prepared as I can be.

We got the emus strictly for companion type pet and possibly sell eggs to pay for feed in a couple years. We don’t have any plans for raising meat emus. The emus will be housed with all the other birds and they will have an area in the main coop to sleep. I feel like having such large birds will help with aerial predators for the smaller birds as well.

Trying to hatch shipped emu eggs is a gamble. Any shipped eggs for that matter. Started with 4 and now down to 2. Have to be fully prepared for zero to hatch. Unfortunately.

If at all possible, find a breeder within driving distance.

Yeah, we were only thinking for pets. The friend we know has one and his daughter is very close with it, and it is super friendly. The other guy had a farm and was selling the oil...making a ton..then went bust. So they can never free range? They are for sale in this area, so perhaps the shipping wouldn’t be quite as hard? Or just drive to get them...

E2 lost way too much weight for 2 day weigh in. E3 is right on target for weight loss.

Humidity is down to 20% to encourage more weight loss in E3. Which means more tape on the other one.

Rockporters... I’m hoping we don’t have the same problem :/

Last edited:
E2 lost way too much weight for 2 day weigh in. E3 is right on target for weight loss.

Humidity is down to 20% to encourage more weight loss in E3. Which means more tape on the other one.

Rockporters... I’m hoping we don’t have the same problem :/

I have been thinking about you! I had a nice cry last night lol. Emu eggs are tough, so much more interaction involved than chicken eggs!

I’m worried about the tape on E2. How much of the egg is covered? I wonder if it is able to get enough air exchange? You are almost in need of 2 incubators, since each egg has a different problem now. Ugh.

I wish your eggs would just cooperate and wiggle! I don’t think you’re going to be able to tell anything at this point until after day 50. You should start to hear scratching before any whistling starts.

Fingers crossed for your weight issues to even out.

There was a tear or two for you and that little emu baby yesterday :hugs That’s why I’m hoping that if they don’t hatch they’re just duds! It will make it easier to get over.

I have a sneaky suspicion that E3, the smaller egg that has lost less weight than scheduled, is the one that’s alive. E2, the bigger egg, is leaning towards the pointed end, but something is weird with the weight loss. It only has tape on the center 4 sides. The ends are clear of tape completely.

The two, stinky eggs that had zero development lost weight a lot faster than the others. Maybe that’s just tricking me into thinking E2 isn’t alive. Maybe someone that has successfully hatched one that kept losing too much weight can chime in. Reassurance needed?

If it makes you feel any better, my undeveloped egg was losing at exactly the same rate as the one that developed.

Also, I’ve read several posts on FB recently about eggs not wiggling for the first time until 42 days.

There is hope!

Back
Top Bottom