Emu pen #2

xxnativewolfxx

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
central PA

Emu pen 2 posts are in! Time to work on the fencing! The whole pen is about ohh 30 to 35 feet X 100 feet its a pretty large sized pen! Well large enough for a pair! Pretty proud! 30 T post 8 feet and then 6 foot ones. We will use field fencing that is about 4 feet then add the other section to make it 6 feet!. pics will come later when i have the fencing in. My arms are like jelly from doing all the posts at once but I should be on it by tomorrow! Figured i would get this done before it starts getting COLD here.

Hey there xxnativewolfxx

I hope you do not mind me asking but being in Aus, I am intrigued by the number of people who keep/raise Emus outside of Australia [I am guessing you are not in Aus].

Can I ask why?

This is not a lead in to an attack at all and is a genuine question … I know they are beautiful, big, fascinating birds and wonder if that is the reason, or the eggs, both, or something else?

Are they expensive? How do they cope with predators that would not be native to them? How do they cope with temperatures etc?

As I said, just intrigued
smile.png

Great job on the fencing also
thumbsup.gif

lol i actually get that alot from aussies! LOL they always are like you WANT emus? lol in i live in central Pennsylvania our winters can be harsh and our summers HOT and emus do REALLY well here! you only need like a three sided shelter for them and there good to go lol 6 foot fences are needed since they can JUMP really high....i have them as more of a ....pet / livestock. i have 2 females so i need males but when they are breeding ect we plan on selling eggs, chicks, adults, ect just for extra money in the pocket then to raise acouple for ourselves to fill the freezer! predators are not really an issue aslong as you have them properly fenced in we have coyotes which is somewhat the same thing as dingos and if my emus ever got out i would actually bet my bottom dollar they could escape form them! thats basically the only real threat to them as ADULTS! now chicks and young ones foxes, possums, raccons ect but like i said if there secure and safe your good! money wise eh.....chicks range for 100 dollars...eggs between 25 to 30......adults can go from like 600 to 1000 .....and pairs up to 2 thousand dollars... getting into emus is expensive upfront! but once you get off the ground you should be alright. there not a get rich quick thing but they can and will bring in some extra cash. OR make good pets lol

I had a chuckle when you mentioned you “get that a lot from Aussies”
smile.png

Thanks for that, it was interesting. It is kind of hard to explain in words or on a forum etc but Emus are just ‘there’, something you see often ‘look, an Emu’ and then move on.

Yep, they are quick .. when I was a youngster we had one running alongside the car on the highway; it was actually funny, he was keeping pace with us and looking in the window. When we slowed down as we did not want to injure him, he just lobbed across in front of us, had a look in the windscreen and just went about his business.

I have never tried emu as a meal … I might do one day.

I am actually pleased that they are being kept as pets and can put a little extra cash in the pocket .. they are kinda cute in a goofy way and having seen some tame ones, agree that they would make great pets. Not cheap though
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom