1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

emu questions

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by emu loverer, Feb 4, 2017.

1. emu loverer

emu loverer Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    U.S.A
    I know that emu eat 2000 calories every day but how many lbs do they eat every day

How often do female emu lay eggs in mating season

how do you tell if an egg is fertilized

every 1 emu needs how many feet do they need

Can heaters hurt emu in the winter

ext

2. Emu559

Emu559 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Madera County, CA
    I'm no expert for sure, but from my experience, feeding amount depends on environment. If they green pasture, they will graze and eat less pellets. I would say my adult emus eat about 1 to 1.5 pounds of ratite pellet per day. And during the breading season, about half of that. My female lays an egg about every 4 days fairly consistently during the breading season, but that can vary from bird to bird. There is no visual way to tell if an egg is fertile. The best way I have found is to mark down when I see my pair breeding and go from there. Females remain fertile for 14 days after breeding. And since I see my pair breeding almost daily, I'm fairly confident all her eggs are fertile. A breeding pair needs about 1/2 acre of space. I've never used a heater, as I live in California, but I'm sure as long as it's high enough that they can't reach it, it should be fine. If you're serious about raising emus, i recommend getting a copy of the Emu Farmer's Handbook. It is a wealth of knowledge.

3. emu loverer

emu loverer Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    U.S.A
    where do you get the book and should i use a heater because i live in NH

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    It's my understanding that adult emus are very cold hardy and would not need a heater. Little guys would need one until fully feathered. I've also referenced a book titles The Ratite Encyclopedia. I got my copy from amazon.

5. emu loverer

emu loverer Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    U.S.A
    ty are there pages specifically about emu

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  6. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA

Yes there are several chapters dedicated to emu. It's geared toward the large scale farming of ratites but I still found a lot of good info. I think I saw the other book mentioned on Amazon as well.

7. emu loverer

emu loverer Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    U.S.A
    can you give me a link

8. emu loverer

emu loverer Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    U.S.A
    how many lbs of other
    how many lbs of other food do they eat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by