emu vs rheas

J3172

Songster
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Michigan
Okay so I had my first in person encounter this weekend at a wisconsin bird swap with rhea and ostrich chicks. I have always liked this groups of birds, and almost bought emu eggs last year, and rhea chicks this weekend but decided this will be a 2012 project. So what do you prefer emu or rheas. I live in michigan and we get lots of snow and cold. If I got emu could I put them in a horse pasture with an electric fence? What is it like incubating eggs, I would prefer to raise them from chicks to get a good feel of the birds personality when dealing with such big birds. Do rhea make as good of pets as emu? Could I put rhea in with my swans and wild geese?

I have never had rea, but from what others have told me and from what I've read, reas are not as personable as emu. Emu, especially the males, when raised from chicks are almost dog like in that they will follow you around, like attention from you, like to be with you. Reas, I've been told are more standoffish.
Emu can be kept with horses but electric fencing has no affect on them, their feathers are too insulating and like most ratites, when afraid will go through a flimsy barrier as they react first, think later.
if raised from a chick with different types of fowl, they can be housed with them. Mine are in with geese, chicken, swan, turkey, llama, mini horses, mini cattle, horses etc.... Some of mine still get a bug up their butt once in awhile and will chase the geese or my cranes out of fun, so make sure they have a place to get out of the way of a running emu. they don't chase the swans as the swans will hiss and bite at them and they don't run. My guinea fowl, peafowl and tom turkeys will go after the emu so they stay clear of them.

Thanks chickenzoo, although I like rheas more, but I'm starting to think emu's might be my kind of bird.

You could always start with emu . Then add reas later, after you've gotten the feel of them.... LOL That is what I'm planning.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom