Has there ever been in the history of pet keeping an indoor pet ostrich, emu, or rhea?

Pics
You can keep birds indoors but emus, ostriches and very large birds need a lot of space and they like to run around and stuff which they can't do indoors so you would be taking away some of their rights but also they are very curious and can probably injure themselves but you do you I just don't think you should keep a bird that size indoors

'WHY IS EVERYBODY IN THIS WHOLE FORUM ALWAYS AGAINST INDOOR PET BIRDS?!?!?!'

A wild emu can cover the length of a football field in seconds. It is an awesome thing to watch.

Their muscular development as chicks includes endless 'snatch-'n-twist' as they eat seeds and flowers as they move around their world.

And from just 8-10 inches high -- from Day One after hatching -- they are out at first light, shoving their way through breast-high grass, as they and their Dad move across the pastures that are their territory. I have seen a chick less than an hour out of its shell follow Dad a quarter mile across tough terrain to get water. If you've ever handled a wild black-head chick, you know that their thigh muscles are like spring steel.

And they don't like to be confined/constrained. The tame-wild birds here show this very clearly; and you can ask any emu owners here about how they often ignore the little roost-shelters provided for them. We have had frequent discussions about emus that 'pace their fences' until their necks are raw and infected from contact with the wire. That is, even quite large pens seem to distress some emus.

And emus luuurv to be around other emus.*

So, 'indoor pet birds'? Don't know. Indoor pet emu? Nuh.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, W.A.

*They are ornithologically categorised as 'solitary,' but that is a different thing, it seems.

Last edited:
I have heard of lots of people keeping them indoors as a baby (which in my opinion, is fine),
but never, ever, EVER have I heard of people keeping fully-grown emus indoors. That is literally a disaster waiting to happen, and I would never recommend it.

(hint hint: this is a troll post)
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

'But Beaky has now been banished to a summerhouse in the garden because she is too messy and troublesome to be allowed the run of the family home anymore.'

Back
Top Bottom