Emus & Fireworks -Help!

Motherofbirds

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
Hello,
I got 3 Emus last year. We live in a large property with no neighbors anywhere near. They are in a large fenced area (6ft tall to protect them from predators but we let them roam around almost every day. They are super friendly and curious.
Last night there were fireworks sounds, not too loud as we live in a secluded ranch, but the Emus went crazy. One of them climbed and jumped the fence, we tried to calm the other 2 but they kept running into the fence so they were hurting their necks and heads. I decided to let them out and they took off. We could see them running around scared, it was such a terrible experience.
After the fireworks ended we walked all over the property and were able to find only 2 of them and guide them back into their own. This morning the third one was waiting at our door.
Today is the big night for fireworks and I could really use some advice.
I am thinking they hurt themselves on the fence, so letting them out before the fireworks start? But what if they get injured elsewhere? What if they get lost? Is there anything I can do to avoid this traumatic experience?
Thank you in advance.

I know I might be answering too late, but if not, I would lock them in their barn. Make sure it's free of obstacles and things they might run into or crash over, add lots of soft bedding, and just leave them in there. Being inside will dampen the sound somewhat, which will help, and they won't be able to escape.

I would not let them out. A scared emu can run for miles, and they don't come home like other birds do, since they're semi-nomadic in the wild. You're really lucky the third one you didn't find last night turned back up at your door this morning. Often when they get out they just go, and they don't come back. One of my friends had one get out and he couldn't find him until he finally turned up months later - on the other side of the mountain.

What Pyxis said!

And an Outright Emergency Protocol might be to swaddle them: literally roll 'em up in a blanket, tightly tightly, with head stickin' out one end, and feeties stickin' out the other.

I have done it with a mid-sized kangaroo (to bandage its foot) and it worked a treat.

And this technique has been mentioned in the past. I think it concerned getting a chick to the vet.

Supreme Emu

Attachments

• 20211204_192033.jpg
    20211204_192033.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom