EMU's Hatching NOW question.

pop.gif

I love how you are hatching emu's.... something we can't do here in Oz.... without lots of govt red tape!

Good luck!

Geepers~

How's it going?????? I'm dieing here!!!!!!!! Gotta know.......gotta know!!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

I put my 5 Emu eggs in the bator last night. Man oh man do they make my huge homemade bator look small.
smile.png

Hi everyone,

Well 2 of the huge chicks are out and no problems with their yolk sac. I put betadine solution on their navels. Third one is on its way out but I have to stop opening the bator so it doesn't dry out. After I put the other petri dish of water in the incubator lastnight the humidity went up to 40-50% which I guess worked great. I took some pics but not sure how to load them yet.

2/3 hatched emu, 1/3 almost there ...with hovabator. Yes!

The temp read 93. because I had the lid open during photoshoot.

28000_emu_pics_003.jpg

Last edited:
We soooooooooooo need pictures.
he.gif
Go next door or something and find some geeky kid to show you how to upload the pictures!
wee.gif
I am drinking coffee and sitting here until I see pictures.
caf.gif
I can't take that much caffeine.
ya.gif
Let's see 'em!
woot.gif

OKAY I am going to the grocery store now and Walgreens, I expect (or hope, please, please) pictures will be up by the time I get back. You have about 2 hrs. Hurry, I want to be the first one on my block with Emu chick pictures.

Yep.....we need pics!
smile.png
Too Cool Geepers! I don't know if I can wait til May 1st.

Neighbor called and her Emu layed another egg yesterday, she's bringing it over to put in with the other 5. OMG! What if all of them hatch?
barnie.gif

Just another note for future emu hatchers (this is so neat)

The skin around their eyes is a soft blue. Most of the hatching I have seen online have shown chicks with red swollen looking eyes. Think thats because everyone is incubating at too high of a temp for emus at 97oF or above which results in losses. I would recommend 95.3-96.5oF and 30-35%RH stop turning day 50 (let them roll to find their own spot) and don't let them touch because the punch out place they need may be blocked by the other eggs. Day 52-53 first internal pip and chirping. Day 53-54 seems to be the estimated time of hatch for my conditions.

I named the eggs before I set them.

Egg1: Stazia
Egg 2: Alabaster
and Egg 3 whom I'm still waiting on wiggling out: Gonzales

Thought these were cool "dragony" sounding names - the eggs look like dragon eggs so...

gp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom