EMU's Hatching NOW question.

Hi everyone,

Im going to keep posting now about this for future emu hatchers.

It is day 2 post hatch and the chicks are very much more attentive and they are starting to stand and watch. Let me ask about their food and their legs.

I read a bunch of websites on chick feeding requirements and it said not to give them anything for a couple of days. I believe this since when they hatched they looked like a big yolk ball (inside their bellies) with head and legs. When should I start feeding them. They do not seem to be pecking at anything yet. Their bellies and their energy suggest that they are absorbing their yolk (they havn't gone to the bathroom yet) so I want to be ready for when they get hungry. Any suggestions?

About their legs, they are still wobbly. I have given them a bathmat for grip on setting their legs for walking. What do you know about baby emu legs?

gp

Last edited:
Oh yes, one more thing.

Does anyone have emu diapers they want to donate for a week or two. LOL. Wash and return?

Haha thanks,

gp

My neighbors Emu's are pretty large. I'm 5'6" and they are looking me straight in the eye. Her birds are pretty friendly except if something smaller than them like a small dog or cat, raccoon, opossum or basically any smaller animal that is stupid enough to try and get into their pasture they will charge and go after....especially the female. I have noticed that her male seems a little more layed back than the female. They make the coolest sounds...bump bump bump....sounds like young kids that drive by with that bumping stereo in their cars.

Hi everyone,

Here are some weights at day 2. Should be roughly the same since they have not changed much.

28000_camera_pics_232.jpg

28000_camera_pics_233b.jpg

28000_camera_pics_234.jpg

BW= birthweight at post-hatch day 2.

Egg 1(Gonzales) weighed 663g (BW= 436g), egg 6 (Alabaster) weighed 673g (BW=454g) while egg 9 (Stazia) weighed 696g (BW=468g).

The are all doing great now. They know how to walk, eat and drink. My duties are done so now they have to go back to the farm.

28000_camera_pics_225.jpg

Last edited:
GP~

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience.....the information has been great and very helpful.
Now stop posting photos of them....it's making me not want to give my neighbor her babies back when/if they hatch!!!!!!
wink.png
smile.png

Seriously though...Great job! They awesome!

This has been a great post!
The photo's are great.

Did you do this emu hatch as a labor of love or did they pay for the "custom" incubation?
They are just too cute.
Would you do it again?

Brenda

I did this for the experience not for any payment. I am cool with that, it's all for fun. A few cigars would be good. I think getting fresh emu eggs to hatch and raise for a bit is a one in a life time type of experience. I may write an article for a newletter or something. Hope you enjoy your emu hatching! The good thing about emu's in North America is that they lay in winter and so incubation season can start earlier than normal - if you hatch seasonal layer breeds. It would be great if hovabator made a plastic water tray with just 2 large petri sized wells in the bottom for hatching ratites. Twice as deep would be better so that they only need to be topped up once a day. Would come in handy during hatch time. Fill one during incubation and fill the other when all have externally pipped.

The farmer has offered me some ostrich eggs when they are laid. Not sure if I will take up the offer -

gp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom