Emu's have I lost my mind?

I have pet emu, love them. I raised them from about 3weeks & a 1 month old. They stayed in the house awhile, boy does their poo stink! They took awhile to get big enough to let outside, but now at a year old are about 5 ft tall. Emu weigh around 125-165 pounds. They are just like parrots, just way bigger - love the colorful or shiney. Mine I taught manners and they know their limits. They are well behaved and I have kept them socialized since they were little. They love attention from people and Jazzy my female comes up and gives Emu hugs to me and others. I raised them around the chickens,turkey and peafowl, so they do well with them. You do have to be careful introducing them to new critters. They will stomp anything they precieve as a threat to "their" flock. They make good watch dogs, chase cats, squirrels etc. Plus most people won't dare enter the yard without me here. They are funny and their running and flipping around makes me giggle. my nephews would chase them and vise versa, they loved it. They called them their dinosaurs. Emu also love water and will splash in the ducks tub. They require shots like what you give to horses & worming. They make little noise, just a hissing sound that has a lot of meanings and a thumping sound in their chest. They can jump, so introduce them to their boundarys early. They are not the smartest creature and will run slap into a wire fence if not introduced before hand. Their poo is not as big as you would expect as adults, small heresy kiss shaped mounds. I can't tell you about how they taste, ours are pets and after raising them I don't know how anyone could. If raised right they can be a lot of fun.
7205_jazzy.jpg

7205_bugonbutt.jpg

I fell in love with some at a swap this fall. Hubby said "NO WAY" He saw one take a bite of the owners arm and twist and pull. He said he didn't think it would be safe around the kids. I took this as my sign to go for goats again!

I also have a breeding pair of emus. While I received mine as a "gift" when they were about 18 months old and didn't have a chance to raise them by hand, they are very tame. Enoch, the male loves to get "hugs" and is very inquisitive. What was said about them liking shiny things is SO true... be it a zipper pull or diamond earings. I can always tell when mine are zero-ing in on something as they tilt their heads when they stare at the "pretties"!. Skyesrocket mentioned the emu dance... it's one of the funniest things to watch! You'd think they were possessed the way they run, jump, and twist!

My emus are in a pen that is 100' x 25'; it's 6' tall horse fencing. They've never challenged it as they have all the comforts of home in their pen and are quite happy there. They will stomp anything foreign that gets into their pen... and have killed two skunks that way! The females make the "booming" sound, the males pretty much just grunt. My pair are breeding right now and the male will start sitting on the nest in January. He sits on the nest, without eating or drinking, for about 56 days, when the eggs should start hatching. The female will stomp and kill the chicks if she's not separated from the male.

My birds go through cycles during which they eat about 50 lbs of feed a week... then slow down to maybe 100 lbs a month. It all revolves around their breeding/brooding seasons. Feed here in CA runs about $14 for a 50 lb bag.

Emu meat is extremely lean; I don't care for emu steaks but will eat ground emu burgers, stew, or jerky. The person who gave me my breeding pair had hundreds of them as he raised them commercially for the meat, fat (which is rendered into emu oil), hides and feathers.

My emus are the easiest to keep of all my critters... and provide hours of entertainment! I'd say go for it if you have the room and inclination!

Enoch and BoomBoom

14651_img_0001.jpg

I knew that the males were the ones that set the eggs, but the females don't even help to take care of them?? And the males don't get off the nest AT ALL??? That is crazy!! Good thing they set the eggs in the winter!

Quote:
LOL, yeah, the first year Enoch (male) sat on the nest, I kept taking him food and water... not interested. He actually goes into a trance-like state... unless someone he doesn't know enters the pen. He occasionally will get up, turn his eggs, and pfumph, right back down again.

The female, at least my BoomBoom, not only doesn't help, she is downright hostile to the chicks. Before I learned to divide the pen and isolate her, she stomped and killed a couple of chicks
sad.png

My husband built a great shelter for their nest, 8' x 8' x 6' tall... of course they'll have nothing to do with it and choose to build the nest under a huge cedar tree at the opposite end of the run
roll.png

Keeper... one of the chicks from a couple of years ago:

14651_horses_2004_winter_066.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Havent been on in quite awhile but just have to comment on this....

We have 2 emu that we rescued from an abusive home and I love them they are not at all mean you just have to be sure to never walk in front or on the side of them as they can kick frward and sideways. A spooked emu is an accident waiting to happen. Ask the moron who broke my girls leg and never had it tended to because she got sppoked and he decided to try and control her he ended up with a ripped open leg and must sya good for her. I have never had the chance to raise a youngin yet but I can tell you about how they are when grown. lol they will not eat a turkey so you are safe there but you do have to watch out as they will stomp them to death. We learned this after placing one of our toms in with them he was removed immeditely when we saw the first 5 foot jump from our boy as he came inches away from landing on him. They require at least a 6 foot fence as I said a 5 foot jump at a standstill. More amazing while they are full steam ahead running which can clock at 35 mph. Thier diet is great they require only about 1 1/2 lbs of feed a day and will drink up to 3 gallons of water a day. Full size our female stands 6 ft and the male is about 5 - 5 1/2 ft tall. range at

The female will lay an egg about every 3rd day the young when hatched will be about 10 inches tall and weigh about 1 1/2 lbs. Adults weigh aprox. 130 lbs for the male and the female is around 140 they can weigh up to 150lbs.

Their feathers are amazing they are about 6-8 inches long and double quilled the colors range from light gray dark gray and brownish with dark edges the resemble a fern leaf only whispier and sooo soft.

Their legs move in an opposite direction they can kick forward, sideways but not back they can be nippy but I have not expierienced that side of them. they are the 2nd largest bird in the world the ostrich is the largest they are considered ratites and they can live up to 30 yrs.
new15siggy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! I got a really strange look from the wife when I brought it up again this year. I'll do some more research and decide. I liked the pics though. We have the perfect pen for them, it's mostly back in the woods and where we keep our Bourbon Red turkeys and one group of peafowl.

Somebody mentioned feed? Does everybody feed bagged emu feed? The reason I ask is we have a local feed mill and can get a custom grind if needed.

Thanks
again

Steve in NC

PS my son is going to die when he see's them. There used to be an emu farm in Plymouth,NC and when we went by there I would always stop and told him they were giant turkeys. He was young then and actually believed what his parents said. lol
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom