Emus; Should I?

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
I found two one-month old emus for sale. I've always wanted some, should I get them? I'm a little torn, as I seem to always be taking on more projects than I should, and looking ahead to winter and feeding/housing everyone. What can anyone tell me about emu behavior, feeding requirements, cost of feed, etc? Help me with the pros and cons of emus, please!

I can't address Emus but I can tell you some things I've learned over the years.

NEVER bring home an animal unless already have the housing and fencing finished and ready for it.

ALWAYS do research (as you are doing now
big_smile.png
) before bringing home an animal. Don't buy on impulse. Educate yourself as much as possible so you really do know what you are getting into. That also means having a vet lined up who deals with that type of animal and knowing where and what to feed, any shots needed, etc.

I would suggest using the search function at the top of the page (if you haven't already) and type in "Emu", that will bring up threads that have discussed them before and should give you some good info.

Good luck with your decision making.

Ditto on the research. Make sure you know all the advantages and disadvantages. Then if you still want emus, go for it.
smile.png

Sounds like you already know the answer, if you're askin'. Maybe wait til spring and use the fall and winter to do the research and setting up suggested by above posters? When/if you do get em, send pics! Emus! Cool!

Quote:
eggcellent advice!!!
big_smile.png

TOTALLY AGREE!!! on another note, Emu's have to have a large fenced in area...apparently it has to be pretty high as they can jump and they eat a lot.
smile.png
I have heard they make good "watch dogs" though.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom