Thinking about emus

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
Ok so I've been thinking that I want emus, but im in the research stage, and their isn't much about keeping emus. People who have emus, what do your fences look like, feed bill?. Housing requirements, type of food. Just basically any general info will be good, we have the space(200 acres) what is the initial cost for a male female pair

Fences? Six feet, and free of ‘sharp corners.’

Their entire environment must be kept scrupulously clear of bits of wire, glass, screws, etc.

I am tame-wild emu guy. You should wait for folks who have pet emus to advise you on feed. My note is always: provide any greenery you can in their paddock: grass, other edible plants, fruit trees, etc. – particularly anything that will grow during dry times. Emus love ‘fresh pick.’

Costs? Over the years, we have noted that veterinary costs, both for shots/check-ups and emergencies, can be a real difficulty. Apparently Giant Flight Bird Vets are few and far between.

Space? Lots of space. As much as possible. BIG space. (And they love to swim).

And overall? Emooz are a big investment. They are lovely people, and apparently can live in harmony with other critters on hobby farms.

But they are big; best kept in a pair or more; and live around fifteen years. People buy a cutie cutie chick, and two years later it is literally big enough to bust through fences.

So, if you really want emus, then get some. But if it is any sort of spur of the moment thing, I counsel more research.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia

[A mob here for breakfast. Mr. and Mrs. Bird. The two sooky females. And OO7 and her posse.]

A tall bulletproof fence. A very large area, think arceage large.

Dad got 3 when I was a kid back when they were the new best thing. We kept them on a 10 acre plot. Our problem was dad expected to keep them like our cattle. Those things learned to climb 6 foot barbed wire fence. Think we kept them for 3 or 4 years before dad got tired of having to chase them down and went back to straight cattle.

Back
Top Bottom