EMU'S?!?

Here’s a quick idea of how things can go lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/are-these-emu-eggs-fertile-hatchalong.1504175/

It’s a long thread, but you can see in the beginning the space which is adequate and the go around for taller fencing in the photos. So far I’ve only had one escapee and she was an escape artist from day one. All the others stay in.

I would have to disagree that they “climb” fences. It’s more like a fling your body at the fence, kungfu a little, then fly over the top.

Utility -
Does an Emu actually have a utility? Ie a chicken lays and egg. A goat can be milked.
Obviously we have tons of "pets" that have no utility other than bringing us joy. A majority of American dogs would fall into this category.
But after watching all the videos last night, aside from being able to sell really expensive hatching eggs, I couldn't figure out if anyone used them for a purpose.

If you're not killing them for meat, feathers, and fat, which I suspect you wouldn't be, LOL, then their utility is as a guard animal. They can kill most small predators that would go after other birds. A pack of coyotes or bobcats can still take them, though. But foxes, raccoons, and fishers beware!

Space:
We have just over 1/4 of an acre, fenced off with 36" post and beam fencing, available for a new farm friend. We live in the "high desert". It is dry here, native "soil" is very sandy and pen is full of weed/plants. Nothing noxious as we rotate the goats in there around July to knock down the foliage. Is this enough space, high enough fence, and landscape for a pair of emus?

Note: this fenced area is within a fenced pasture that grows orchard grass. I considered perhaps allowing them to range in the acre, but they seem to not listen to anything or anyone. I am not certain how I would control them if they had so much room to run. Either way, both have a lean-too for shelter and sleeping.

Six foot high fencing, at a minimum. Three feet is nothing to an emu. I watched Ciara jump over a four foot tall piece of plywood when she was only six months old and half grown.

Breeding: would a pair result in the female being overbred? I'm not interested in selling anything, just to add something new to the farm here. They seem super silly and enjoyable.

A pair is the way to go! Either a pair or, believe it or not, two males and a female. Emus are reversed of how other birds are. Females are bigger, they own territories, and they will pick a male with whom to pair for the year. Then she will lay eggs in his nest, and in the wild that's it, off she goes, and the male is left to do the rest of the parenting. Sometimes she will then find another male and do it again, if she lays a second clutch, which sometimes they do.

Weather: we are about 5500 of elevation, w/ temps that routinely drop well below 0 deg. Average temp in late December to mid February is around 20 degrees, with overnight temps reaching -20. We can supplement heat anywhere, but I usually prefer not to.

That's it for now. Any help would be appreciated 😉

That shouldn't bother them. We get temperatures like that here in VT and they do fine. As long as they have a place to get out of inclement weather, they should be fine.

Oh this is exciting.

I actually found 2 hatching eggs locally! The heat is on now!

Trying to be responsible and make sure im prepared first. 😁

Congrats! Be aware though that breeding season here usually runs from November to March/April, making these eggs pretty late. A lot of times late eggs aren't fertile. I'm not saying don't go for it, of course! Just warning you and also letting you know you might want to spend too much on them.

Be aware though that breeding season here usually runs from November to March/April, making these eggs pretty late.
This is an incredible post, and I am grateful beyond comprehension for you taking the time to help me.

This is what the person with the eggs had to say as well. They offered them to me at no cost, but instead to pay them back with two eggs if they hatch, they are a pair and eventually lay eggs 🤣 followed by a deep, gut laugh. So I am assuming the odds are incredibly low. But in all, very generous.

I am going to give it a shot I believe. We have some new things going here with the addition of quail, currently have a stud leased for our goats and obviously the ongoing chicken brigade. But, the family is really excited for something exotic like this, and a new adventure.

I have a mountain of 10' pressure treated posts, and miles of 6' wire weld that we bought in bulk when we started the little farm, so the fence materials are covered and should have plenty of time between now if one were to hatch. Either way, I'll be all set for the following year.

This seller did allow me an opportunity to reserve a few naturally hatched chicks, for what I believe to be a reasonable price considering it is them only game in town - $450 ($225/chick) for a pair of unrelated, sexed chicks. If that's highway robbery, let me know.

Either way, I can't thank you all enough. I need to get busy watching and reading more abour
Emus. Starting with @ShannonsChimkens thread 😍

We went to a zoo today so I figured I'd share some emu photos to help fan the emu flames. I tried to feed one because I just had to, I thought it would work, it totally failed. It walked right up and put my whole hand in its mouth and clamped down 🤣 I still have a red line down my finger from its beak. Best part of the day!!!

Attachments

• 20230628_142407.jpg
    20230628_142407.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230628_142054.jpg
    20230628_142054.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230628_142416.jpg
    20230628_142416.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom